Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scooterman1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 15, 2008
Houston, Tx
I apologize if this has already been posted; but, a Search did not show this.
The link for being able to list All Apps, and having the 'Over 100 pages' listed starting with the newest by date is now gone.
I find this completely unsatisfactory for me as I usually check every day or two for new apps. It was very easy to find the new ones for the days they were posted. Now, it gives you a 'NEW' link but it has randomly posted apps when you click on this. The first app may show 3 weeks ago, or more, and it only shows 2 pages. I won't look at every single catagory to find the new Apps now. So, they have potentially lost this customer. I don't have enough time to look through everything each day. If I'm missing something, please enlighten me.

What do YOU think? Does this affect you?

condor

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2004
You are so right. I used that link every day to see the most recent releases. That really stinks that they took it away. I discovered lots of cool apps just by browsing through there. Does anyone know a way to see all apps by release date?

Rojo

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2006
Barcelona
What do YOU think? Does this affect you?

Absolutely!

I had a daily ritual of going through all the new apps to discover what's new, but now we have no way of knowing what's just been released. I download a lot less apps now. I'm sure others download less too. Downloading less = less sales for devs and Apple. This does not make sense to me...

MJFlash

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2008
Hi, Gang,

The App Store's obviously broken right now - all categories other than the icon-based front page "splash screens" are down. So much for Eddy Cue's magic performance. :rolleyes:

Cheers!
Mark

MJFlash

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2008
Indeed! I've made perhaps 70 app purchases by browsing new apps via the "All iPhone Applications" list (out of a total of ~110). This is definitely costing them!

capnjiggins

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2008
anyone else find themselves purchasing and downloading a lot fewer apps due to the all apps feature being removed for now?? It was pretty much the only way I used to discover new apps and updates that made older apps more appealing

kwjohns

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2007
Sorry, Apple, but I am not going to click through 19 different categories (38 if you factor in having to look through each of the categories under games) looking for new apps every day. Not going to do it. I'd rather not waste my time.

I read that Apple changed the "Release date" for apps to be when they are originally released and not when an update has come out so I don't see why they can't continue with the All Apps links so that people can see when new apps have come out.

FAIL

StingerT125

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2008
Dutchess County New York
Yeah - I don't like this change either.

I'm not going to search each category either; and sometimes the developer puts the application in an unexpected category so further chance of missing something that may be good.

I hope they're not done with their changes yet.

PatrickRS

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2008
I have a strong feeling that Apple is going to feel like a barrel going over Niagara when they see what this change has done to their App Store revenues.

I'm surfing / buying / downloading a LOT less since the change. How about you?

TIMT57

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2008
I agree with all the above, there is going to be a whoops at Apple.Those links made it far far easier to find what you want NOW its a pain in the a..
stupid move..

mappyman

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2008
UK
I've quit using the app store until they change it back. I'm in virtual protest mode, i'll save my money and invest in gold.

Excellerator

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2008
You are so right. I used that link every day to see the most recent releases. That really stinks that they took it away. I discovered lots of cool apps just by browsing through there. Does anyone know a way to see all apps by release date?

My exact feelings. I liked being able to see what is TRUELY new.

rollsroyce442

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2007
Fremont, CA
no more "all free applications"

Probably one reason for the change is a lot of users were browsing for free apps (like me) but still, this is stupid and we'll see if I ever buy another app. I've gone from looking at least once a day to not at all and won't untill there is an easier way to browse.

Excellerator

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2008
Probably one reason for the change is a lot of users were browsing for free apps (like me) but still, this is stupid and we'll see if I ever buy another app. I've gone from looking at least once a day to not at all and won't untill there is an easier way to browse.

You can still see free apps on the phone's AppStore.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Great! much nicer than the various RSS feeds I've been trying to keep track of on my google homepage. If there already isn't, RSS support would be nice for AppShopper as well!

Each page has an RSS feed. (top right of the page)

arn

warburg

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2008
Most people are not interested in every category of app. The person looking for the newest action and arcade games is probably going to be annoyed by viewing multiple listings of books, flashlights, tipping apps, and instructional apps in learning to speak Danish and Japanese. When there were a very limited number of apps, it made sense for Apple to have a "See All Apps" option, but as the number approached 200 pages, in only three months, it became clear that this would no longer be a viable option, so they eliminated it, which was an inevitable development. "See All Apps" will not return:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

kwjohns

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2007
Most people are not interested in every category of app. The person looking for the newest action and arcade games is probably going to be annoyed by viewing multiple listings of books, flashlights, tipping apps, and instructional apps in learning to speak Danish and Japanese. When there were a very limited number of apps, it made sense for Apple to have a "See All Apps" option, but as the number approached 200 pages, in only three months, it became clear that this would no longer be a viable option, so they eliminated it, which was an inevitable development. "See All Apps" will not return:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Wow, I hope that was sarcastic. People didn't use it to browse through every app, people used it to check out the most recent pages by having it sorted by "Release Date" to look at just the new apps.

Lunchbox700

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2008
MN
I personally also miss it and I did go through it all because that was a way to find things that I wasn't looking for and I download a lot less since they took it away.
Ps apphopper is a nice site thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.