Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

auxbuss

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 18, 2014
UK
It used to be that the App Store app remembered which option you selected when opening the App Store app. Now, after a day, it resets and opens the Today tab every time. Every 24 hours (or so). All the time. As a result, I no longer open the App Store. If I could delete the app, I would.

Once, I loved updates. Now, I hate them. I'm beginning to hate my iPhone and my iPad.

I'm aware that the marketing droids at Apple have been "motivated" to open the Today tab by default because the glorious metrics ordain that it paints the sky with gold – and look, it's a real sneaky way to get users to look at new apps and stuff and maybe buy something – but is there any way we can stop this obnoxious, childish behaviour?

Chazzle

macrumors 68020
Jul 17, 2015
It used to be that the App Store app remembered which option you selected when opening the App Store app. Now, after a day, it resets and opens the Today tab every time. Every 24 hours (or so). All the time. As a result, I no longer open the App Store. If I could delete the app, I would.

Once, I loved updates. Now, I hate them. I'm beginning to hate my iPhone and my iPad.

I'm aware that the marketing droids at Apple have been "motivated" to open the Today tab by default because the glorious metrics ordain that it paints the sky with gold – and look, it's a real sneaky way to get users to look at new apps and stuff and maybe buy something – but is there any way we can stop this obnoxious, childish behaviour?
This has to do with RAM management (which is slowly improving on iOS 11), and absolutely nothing to do with some way to get you to look at the Today view more.
I guess this begs the question, why were you opening the App Store in the first place, since you clearly indicated you don’t want it?

Reactions: chabig

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
Today at Apple is a new initiative.
You’ll find it in the retail stores, app stores and in iTunes.

How does it interfere with doing updates since you have to click on the update icon in the dock area?

todayoniphone

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2018
I would also really like to get rid of the today tab. What’s the deal with this, Apple? Seems like most days there is at least one app related to this on the Today tab and it’s usually the very first one- which I have to see because this is what the App Store opens with.
Is there a way to change the settings somehow so either there is not a “Today” tab at all, or to select that certain content not be included?
Does anyone know if android phones have the same issue? Seriously considering switching. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.