Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brien

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 11, 2008
Been doing this app store thing for ~10 years and I get at least 2-3 "complaints" a year that are so frivolous. Is this the norm or am I unlucky?

Brien

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 11, 2008
Usually, I get infringement threats from companies with much deeper pockets who want to use my app names.

sundialsoft

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2010
Scotland
Yes, one. I had an app which I called 'Phone Tree' because it did a phone tree and that's something which existed on paper for decades at least. I got a lawyer's email complaining that his client owned the trade mark 'Phone Tree'.
The client had no apps on the app store and I eventually just changed the external name to 'Portree' which is a Scottish place name.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
Best way to avoid this hassle is don't pick app names that are already registered trademarks.

But do a trademark search and see if they actually have already registered your chosen name in any of the categories related to computer software. If they haven't, you can try to beat them to the punch.

www.uspto.gov

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.