Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

atlchamp

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 19, 2012
Atlanta
App update icon won't disappear and there aren't any apps that need to be updated. What should I do?

MacScholar

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2014
idk..but I know you can hide the app store's App until you find a solution because I know that can be annoying.

kerrikins

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Can anybody help please?

Do you have a glitched app? The other day I had an app that had updated but was still showing under the 'update' section (I forget what it's called). Once I deleted it, the problem went away. I haven't redownloaded it so I don't know if the problem will come back, but you could at least try that and see if that fixes the problem.

Bigads

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2012
Here
I have had this too. Simplest way to remove the icon is to delete the app and re-download from the App Store.
This worked fine for me, however, if it is an app that stores data, you may lose it if you follow my suggestion. Mine was BBC I player which didn't make any difference.

The19th

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2014
NorCal
I found several different threads on this, but the title for this one seemed to apply to me the most.

Currently running on 8.1 beta 2 on my iPhone 6 and 8.0.2 on my iPad rMini. I usually update apps through iTunes to avoid having the same app download multiple times.

I've noticed that since 8.x, after downloading and transferring updated apps via iTunes, the badge doesn't go away (change in behavior since 7.x).

I've noticed that on both the iPhone and iPad, when I go into the App Store app and then the Updates section, these apps will show an "Update" button, which then changes to "Open" after a second or so.

Also sent feedback to Apple.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
I found several different threads on this, but the title for this one seemed to apply to me the most.

Currently running on 8.1 beta 2 on my iPhone 6 and 8.0.2 on my iPad rMini. I usually update apps through iTunes to avoid having the same app download multiple times.

I've noticed that since 8.x, after downloading and transferring updated apps via iTunes, the badge doesn't go away (change in behavior since 7.x).

I've noticed that on both the iPhone and iPad, when I go into the App Store app and then the Updates section, these apps will show an "Update" button, which then changes to "Open" after a second or so.

Also sent feedback to Apple.

I'm on 8.0.2 (4 devices) and have the exact same behavior (Update flashes back to Open). I have noticed if you use the mobile App Store app to do the update, the badge goes away.

jsd79

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2013
I'm running iOS 8.1.1 and it's still a problem -- but only if you update apps via iTunes sync. Updating OTA seems to be fine. That is, updating on the device itself will make the badge function correctly, but if you download app updates to your computer, then sync the device (updating the apps in the process), then the badge doesn't reset. I can't find a fix for the problem, though...

dan.synergy

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2014
Balmore
This happened to me when :apple: changed over the "Free" button to "Get" and I had ~12 glitched apps. I noticed that every time i opened the Apps Store and went to the Update section, the apps in question had an "Update" button to the right which immediately turned to "Open" right before my eyes.

Through several speed attempts, I was able to beat software to the button before it changed. I successfully pressed "Update" on a single one of my apps; at that point all the rest retained the "Update" button and I selected "Update all" from the top right, further triggering the re-downloads. Issue resolved.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
Having this problem now. Anybody find a fix for it? I did what the above post did but it didn't work.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
Do you have an update that might have gotten stuck?
Nope. I'm not sure what happened but after this post I googled and finally found something about shutting off auto updates and then restarting and that worked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.