Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 13, 2007
Allow people to download the program into an emulator so you can test it out before you drive it. Why not? If people could test out say... MobileChat before actually buying it, they would find out the easy way what a piece of garbage it is. This would also help stop people from wasting money, and spending it on things that actually work.

razorianfly

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2007
Cheshire, United Kingdom
Yes, yes, yes. Something like the 'iPhone Aspen Simulator' could be used to open a 'simulation' of the application before purchase,
using a special file which is non-executable on the real iPhone OS.

Your also right in saying, having this option would stop people from buying applications which don't operate as advertised.

I'd also like to see Apple introduce a rental system as well.
For example:

Buy Super Monkey Ball: £5.99
Rent Super Monkey Ball for 14 days: £0.99

Apple already have the ability to make bought movie files expire after a time,
So why not offer this option for applications too?

R-Fly

Amt

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2008
Because they'll probably lose money. People try it out, don't like it and then don't buy it.

ryanwarsaw

macrumors 68030
Apr 7, 2007
If people could actually try apps I imagine less would be sold. Less impulse buys. Anyway if i could have tested some of my apps first they wouldn't have become sales. What is the incentive for Apple to do this?

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
wouldnt someone be able to reverse engineer the emulator and then make apps/crack apps (easier than now) for free?

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Don't the current cracks make that sort of irrelevant?

There not on a huge scale right now. I beleive if something like this was released (outside the sdk) then it would just open up a flood of cracked apps.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
wouldnt someone be able to reverse engineer the emulator and then make apps/crack apps (easier than now) for free?

Not if the emulator used or emulated a different type of CPU than does the device. XCode can build apps for multiple CPUs, and the desktop trial app wouldn't have to be built for the ARM CPU. They could use the x86 CPU as the current iPhone developer Simulator does, a PPC CPU as would a Universal build Simulator, or a completely ficticious CPU.

RRutter

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2008
Austin, TX
Allow people to download the program into an emulator so you can test it out before you drive it. Why not? If people could test out say... MobileChat before actually buying it, they would find out the easy way what a piece of garbage it is. This would also help stop people from wasting money, and spending it on things that actually work.

Ah, very good idea.. It would be nice if you could download game demos, the ones that are like on Xbox 360 or Playstation 3, and try it out on your iPhone. Good idea!

:apple:

Me1000

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2006
Except when you are trying to play a game or something which requires use of the accelerometer or other features that emulators cant really provide.

Apple just needs to provide a 24 hour trial for apps...
The DRM is already there, wouldn't be that hard...

Because they'll probably lose money. People try it out, don't like it and then don't buy it.

It depends on how you look at it...
I tend to see it as, I'm not going to buy something that is $10 if I don't know if im going to like it. There are plenty of applications out there that I would buy if I was given the chance to play with them, to make sure I would like it.

andyeb

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2008

I think that's a great idea. Of course, there are some limitations - for example you don't really get a feel for what it's like to use on the real device in terms of touch etc.

I think the next best thing would be a video preview, rather than just static screenshots. If Apple can do it for music video previews, why can't they do it for apps? I've done a YouTube video for my app which has received a lot of views - in my mind this confirms it's something users would like to see as part of the App Store.

Andrew

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.