Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jomskylark

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 30, 2008
- Coupon Code: Allow users to enter a coupon code for an app. It would be an easy way for the developers to give away the app as a prize for a contest.

- Demo It: Instead of having to create Lite versions, allow a demo version built right into the app, or on the app's page.

- Reply To Reviews: Allow users to reply to other people's reviews. This would be a great way for developers to connect with their customers.

- Improved Update All: Bring back the Update All button but with improved structure, eliminating most crashes.

- Comment Feature: Allow users to comment without having to place a number of stars.

- Developers Posting Reviews: ** I do not know-can developers post reviews on their own apps? If not, enable this. **

- Multiple Reviews: ** I do not know-can you post multiple reviews on one app? If not, enable this. **

- Recording Feature: Allow developers to record a 30 second or so clip of their app in action, viewable directly from the app page. The video should clip out all of the iPhone/iPod Touch, and its surroundings. In other words, just showing the screen.

- Screenshots/Video: Allow developers to post a gallery of screenshots or videos of their app in action.

- Money Back: Allow users to return an app they purchased, and receive half the amount they paid, for all orders above $.99 (or no limit). Ex. $3.99 - Returned - Received $1.99, but lost the app.

- Money Values: Allow developers to post any money value, as long as it's free or $.99 and above. Ex. $2.00 or $3.50 or $8.74.

- Update Values: Allow developers to post any format of numbers or letters for updates. Ex. Update "A" or Update "7.2.0.4.2.3.E".

Feel free to add to this thread. Thank you!

JamesFoote

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2008
Those are really great ideas! I really like the coupon code suggestion.

Also, Apple needs to allow Canadians to use iTunes Gifts cards for applications. Currently it is disabled.

Delirium39

macrumors regular
May 19, 2008
As a developer, I thought I'd provide a few opinions on these:

- Coupon Code: Allow users to enter a coupon code for an app. It would be an easy way for the developers to give away the app as a prize for a contest.

I like this. It seems like it would require a lot of backend setup though.

- Demo It: Instead of having to create Lite versions, allow a demo version built right into the app, or on the app's page.

Interesting idea. Although it takes away one of the marketing strategies we developers have to get noticed on store. Instead of two chances at getting seen, this would make just one.

- Reply To Reviews: Allow users to reply to other people's reviews. This would be a great way for developers to connect with their customers.

Great in theory. Flame war in practice.

- Improved Update All: Bring back the Update All button but with improved structure, eliminating most crashes.

Good idea, as long as it doesn't bring back the lost user data bug.

- Comment Feature: Allow users to comment without having to place a number of stars.

Excellent idea.

- Developers Posting Reviews: ** I do not know-can developers post reviews on their own apps? If not, enable this. **

We get one review, just like you.

- Multiple Reviews: ** I do not know-can you post multiple reviews on one app? If not, enable this. **

Bad idea. Now idiots who leave random one star reviews can leave fifty of them. Or even worse, your competition could bury you in bad reviews.

- Recording Feature: Allow developers to record a 30 second or so clip of their app in action, viewable directly from the app page. The video should clip out all of the iPhone/iPod Touch, and its surroundings. In other words, just showing the screen.

Great for iTunes, but probably wouldn't work on the phone.

- Screenshots/Video: Allow developers to post a gallery of screenshots or videos of their app in action.

Same as above.

- Money Back: Allow users to return an app they purchased, and receive half the amount they paid, for all orders above $.99 (or no limit). Ex. $3.99 - Returned - Received $1.99, but lost the app.

Ummm, no. What you're saying is, at any time in the future, either Apple, or the developer, has to give half your money back to you, when you're tired of the app?

- Money Values: Allow developers to post any money value, as long as it's free or $.99 and above. Ex. $2.00 or $3.50 or $8.74.

Dollar increments aren't good enough? I don't see the point of free pricing.

- Update Values: Allow developers to post any format of numbers or letters for updates. Ex. Update "A" or Update "7.2.0.4.2.3.E".

Why? What's wrong with numbers?

jstanier

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2008
Brighton, England.
With regards to the video clip feature, an additional link to a YouTube video would be good. Although this could easily be included on the developer's website anyway, now that I come to think of it.

I agree with Delirium39 on all of the negative points. The review system could really easily turn into a long discussion of flames and ranting, which just sheds more negative light on the application.

The ability to leave comments without a star rating is an excellent idea.

Jomskylark

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 30, 2008
QUOTE:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomskylark
Great in theory. Flame war in practice.

|| I understand. ||

Quote:
Bad idea. Now idiots who leave random one star reviews can leave fifty of them. Or even worse, your competition could bury you in bad reviews.

|| I see. Perhaps multiple reviews would not include stars, or would not be counted in the rating process? ||

Quote:
Ummm, no. What you're saying is, at any time in the future, either Apple, or the developer, has to give half your money back to you, when you're tired of the app?

|| Ah, you're right. I just wanted to avoid users purchasing a ten or twenty dollar app, and then disliking it. ||

Quote:
Dollar increments aren't good enough? I don't see the point of free pricing.

|| I disagree. I believe it's fair to have any amount of money pricing. I do, however, understand how it could cause stress on Apple's servers/elsewhere. ||

Quote:
Why? What's wrong with numbers?

|| My wording was not good on this one. I have seen a few different update numbers (Ex. 1.1, 1.0.1, 1.0.0.0, etc.), and I do not know how the process of choosing an update goes. I do not believe it should be strict, though, and users may post any sequence of numbers or letters. ||

Thank you to all for your responses.

Delirium39

macrumors regular
May 19, 2008
I disagree. I believe it's fair to have any amount of money pricing. I do, however, understand how it could cause stress on Apple's servers/elsewhere.

I think the problem here would be that devs would drop their price a penny at a time, which would cause havok on the servers do to all the constant changes to the metadata, as well as create abuse on all the sites popping up that track price drops. Plus, I'm sure Apple and the credit card companies have no desire to process hundreds of thousands of sub $1 transactions. Now, I'm betting if you could price at will, that the top 50 would be filled with 1 cent apps, thus making it meaningless.

My wording was not good on this one. I have seen a few different update numbers (Ex. 1.1, 1.0.1, 1.0.0.0, etc.), and I do not know how the process of choosing an update goes. I do not believe it should be strict, though, and users may post any sequence of numbers or letters.

I guess I'm just missing why it matters to the buyer at all. Does 1.1a mean anything different to you than 1.1.1? The numbers don't mean anything really. We developers make them up. They just have to be unique each time. But, if you're looking for some sort of meaning, generally a full number is a new version of the game. A 1.x means added features/context. A 1.x.x means a bug fix. But nobody is enforcing those rules, so someone could put 1.0.0.0.0.0.1 if they'd like.

wackymacky

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2007
38°39′20″N 27°13′10″W
what I'd really love is a free trial period for apps, even it was only 24-48 hours. I have downloaded a number of paid apps based on the description and one screen shot only to find they don't meet my needs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.