Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dirtylilhobo

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Oct 16, 2014
Southwest USA
The App Store, upon entering, seems so stupidly childish. Nothing but games, childish logos, infinite time wasting silliness. There are blocks of apps for dating, sports, Disney coloring book, arcade games, and try on glasses?
Where are all the serious science, engineering, medical, health, financial, and applied apps? I don’t go to the app store to be presented with childish games. In order to locate a serious app it seems a requirement to search for it hoping that the key word I use is enough to locate what I want. The row of specialty icons on the bottom are useless; today, games, apps, and arcade. Just more childish presentations!

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
I do agree that the official App Store app is mainly focused on cash cows (in-app purchases) apps and mainly games and the lack of filters such as to show apps which are pay once (once or via one in-app purchase).

That is why I use third party apps/websites that use the App Store API such as:

Apps:
- AppRaven (app) - great filters, some user collections are awesome
- PutApp (app)

Websites:
- Fnd.io
- AppSliced.co
- AppApp.io (pay once games only)
- Appwereld.nl

The majority of the above apps/websites offer the ability to find premium / pay once apps in various categories.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.