Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TiredTechnique

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 21, 2022
I have a mid 2012 unibody macbook Pro, I'm replacing the hard drive so I had to go through and do the entire sequence of OS updates. It starts on Mountain Lion, which I updated to El Capitan using the DMG download links on here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211683. The link for Catalina appears to do absolutely nothing, though. I'm on fully updated Safari, with the app store closed, and when I click on the link for Catalina that is supposed to open up the app store and give me a download link, it takes me to a new safari tab for the operating system, and then does absolutely nothing else. Completely worthless and frustrating.

Is there a way to force this to work? Or a good alternative to this process?

Thanks

anshuvorty

macrumors 68040
Sep 1, 2010
California, USA
I have a mid 2012 unibody macbook Pro, I'm replacing the hard drive so I had to go through and do the entire sequence of OS updates. It starts on Mountain Lion, which I updated to El Capitan using the DMG download links on here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211683. The link for Catalina appears to do absolutely nothing, though. I'm on fully updated Safari, with the app store closed, and when I click on the link for Catalina that is supposed to open up the app store and give me a download link, it takes me to a new safari tab for the operating system, and then does absolutely nothing else. Completely worthless and frustrating.

Is there a way to force this to work? Or a good alternative to this process?

Thanks
Try terminal commands, possible?

TiredTechnique

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 21, 2022
Try terminal commands, possible?
"unrecognized option '--fetch-full-installer'. Doesn't work.

TiredTechnique

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 21, 2022
Dosdude patcher also does not work, it gets the installer successfully but then spits out a "missing firmware partition" error.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.