Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macaddict16

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2002
So I noticed that my iPhone's battery was draining super quick these past few days. Went to battery settings and found that the App Store is using 70% of my battery life! :eek: I have all automatic downloads turned off and I have not been downloading excessive amounts of apps. Any ideas? I tried a restart and it is still draining super quick and the background hours keeps going up.

Thanks!
Macaddict16

Macaddict16

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2002
Now I am up to 17.6 hours in the background over the last 7 days and 9 hours in the background in the last 24 hours! Any ideas?

ehaugk

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2008
New Jersey
Now I am up to 17.6 hours in the background over the last 7 days and 9 hours in the background in the last 24 hours! Any ideas?

you probably won't believe this at first, but answer me this question - do you have an apple watch? I've found that sometimes playlist syncing gets very messed up (i think i've stumbled on when it happens - seems to really go bad after going for a run without my phone). Try un-pairing and re-pairing (either from backup or clean from scratch) and see if that resolves it. This has happened to me numerous times now and the only way to stop the battery drain is to un-pair and re-pair.

Music app and music syncing on apple watch is badly coded and seems to need a real update to fix this problem.

Macaddict16

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2002
you probably won't believe this at first, but answer me this question - do you have an apple watch? I've found that sometimes playlist syncing gets very messed up (i think i've stumbled on when it happens - seems to really go bad after going for a run without my phone). Try un-pairing and re-pairing (either from backup or clean from scratch) and see if that resolves it. This has happened to me numerous times now and the only way to stop the battery drain is to un-pair and re-pair.

Music app and music syncing on apple watch is badly coded and seems to need a real update to fix this problem.

I do have a new Apple Watch and I have been having some massive issues with Music being transferred over! Come to think about it, the battery drain did start right about the time last week when I was trying to get the music onto the watch! I will unpairing and repairing when I get home tonight and see if that fixes the issue. Wonder why it would show App Store and not the Watch App or the Music App though?

Thanks!
Robert

ehaugk

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2008
New Jersey
I do have a new Apple Watch and I have been having some massive issues with Music being transferred over! Come to think about it, the battery drain did start right about the time last week when I was trying to get the music onto the watch! I will unpairing and repairing when I get home tonight and see if that fixes the issue. Wonder why it would show App Store and not the Watch App or the Music App though?

Thanks!
Robert

I've been wondering that myself for some time - it is very odd that it shows up as consuming via app store. but without a double i've known for some time that it was the apple watch music syncing that was doing it. The only part i'm still unsure of is what triggers it. Like i said i think i've seemed to narrow it down to when i go running with the apple watch and listen to music over bluetooth beats headphones - when i get home it seems to somehow "lose" the music sync and it just destroys the battery in some kind of death loop until you unpair. it's a huge problem and i can't believe that apple hasn't fixed it yet.

Macaddict16

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2002
Update: On Monday evening I unpaired and repaired my Apple Watch with my iPhone. Restored from backup. Had issues with adding music back onto my watch, but eventually got it back on there. The App Store has stopped draining my battery at this point! Now, I haven't had a chance to actually listen to the music from my Watch so we will see if when I do that the battery drain returns, but in the mean time the battery has returned to normal! Thanks for your help! I will try running with the Watch for music this weekend and report back.

ehaugk

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2008
New Jersey
That's great I'm glad to hear it worked. I've had success in restoring the watch from a backup most of the time but once or twice had to start fresh to get music sync to work. Its highly flaky I'm very hopeful for a fix in the next iOS update. Let us know if you are able to replicate the issue when you go for a workout without your phone.

Reactions: Gonker44

dmb051980

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2016
I'm having the same issue! I did a wipe and reload on both devices and they were working fine until I went for a run and synced up some music and then it started happening again. I took it to the apple store and they had no clue, told me to wait for a iOS update. But I didn't put it together until this thread! I'm going to try unpair/repairing now and see how it goes.

Last edited:

mexxdude

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2011
I may have the same issue. Today I noticed in the battery usage that music has almost 5 hours of background activity. I want to try un-pair and re-pair my watch. One question though, doesn't un-pair a watch also wipe it clean?

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
When using the watch and phone are you on a 2.4ghz wireless network?

I noticed that when I was doing a watch upgrade if I wasn't on a 2.4ghz wifi network it would take hours to upgrade as I assume it was using Bluetooth to transfer the file rather than wifi as the watch cannot connect to a 5ghz network. Maybe this is why it's taking a long time to sync your playlists etc?

dmb051980

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2016
I'm having the same issue! I did a wipe and reload on both devices and they were working fine until I went for a run and synced up some music and then it started happening again. I took it to the apple store and they had no clue, told me to wait for a iOS update. I'm going to try unpair/repairing now and see how it goes.

I can confirm unparing/ restoreing and then stopping the music sync fixes the battery drdain
I may have the same issue. Today I noticed in the battery usage that music has almost 5 hours of background activity. I want to try un-pair and re-pair my watch. One question though, doesn't un-pair a watch also wipe it clean?

Yes it does but I restored it when I repaired and stopped my music sync. Today its seems to be running normal

Reactions: Feenician

markol

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2014

Omg..... my iPhone 7+ started having the same battery drain a few days ago with the App Store showing as the culprit under battery stats. I actually tried syncing a playlist onto my Apple Watch maybe a day or two before that. It would make perfect sense!!!!
I ended up having to wipe and restore my phone yesterday, but probably would've been much easier if I had seen this thread earlier!!!

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
yeah, phone batter 6s with 10.1 beta is for s..t.. not sure if it is the AW2 or something else, but I am literally getting HALF the batterylife of before..Battery manager in ios settings doesn't really show anything that is using unusual battery - at least not obviously.

Maybe I'll unpair the watch and see if that fixes it.

pendolino

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2007

the crappy playlist sync only worked once for me and it was a pain in the behind trying to get it to work most times. now its done this and killed my battery. thank you for tying the two together for me. i think we've come to the root of the problem potentially now i just have to figure out how to reverse it without backup/restore etc.

ehaugk

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2008
New Jersey
I've tried what seems to be all possible things to prevent the battery drain. I've come to the conclusion it's simply not operating as it should and code needs to be fixed. I am no longer trying to put music on my Apple Watch until they can sort it out (it really hopefully will be fixed in 3.1). Otherwise I have a very expensive Apple Watch Edition that can't play music when I exercise with it.

JimmyinHR

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2016
I've tried what seems to be all possible things to prevent the battery drain. I've come to the conclusion it's simply not operating as it should and code needs to be fixed. I am no longer trying to put music on my Apple Watch until they can sort it out (it really hopefully will be fixed in 3.1). Otherwise I have a very expensive Apple Watch Edition that can't play music when I exercise with it.

Has anyone found a fix for this issue? It still persists on my end, which makes my watch unable to play music, as stated in the quote above.

Does the ios 10.2 beta address this issue? Is there any reason to believe that the official release of 10.2 will fix this issue?

I thought updating to the new version of 10.1.1 (build number 14B150) would do the trick, but no success.

ehaugk

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2008
New Jersey
Has anyone found a fix for this issue? It still persists on my end, which makes my watch unable to play music, as stated in the quote above.

Does the ios 10.2 beta address this issue? Is there any reason to believe that the official release of 10.2 will fix this issue?

I thought updating to the new version of 10.1.1 (build number 14B150) would do the trick, but no success.

Nothing yet - have tried the latest public beta 10.2 beta 2 and it still persists. Massive app store background battery drain if you go for a run with your apple watch and listen to music. This is really becoming unacceptable. Just out of curiosity, what bluetooth headphones are you using? I am using Powerbeats Wireless 2.

JimmyinHR

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2016
Nothing yet - have tried the latest public beta 10.2 beta 2 and it still persists. Massive app store background battery drain if you go for a run with your apple watch and listen to music. This is really becoming unacceptable. Just out of curiosity, what bluetooth headphones are you using? I am using Powerbeats Wireless 2.

These TaoTronics Bluetooth Headphones. Ugh. This feature was the #1 reason I purchased the watch. I think I'm just going to return it while I am in my 14-day window.

Is it possible that this issue occurs because after a run, I'm connecting the watch back to my phone while my phone has no cell reception? I don't get service in the gym I run in.
[doublepost=1478979414][/doublepost]Okay so I kind of tested my theory out.

Typically, after a run, I reconnect the watch to my phone via bluetooth in the locker room where there is no service. At this point, the watch somehow "loses" the previously synced Apple Music playlist and enters into a continuous "Syncing..." status, which brings forth the "app store background activity" battery drain and increased phone temperature.

Just now, I went for a quick walk around my block with only my watch and my synced playlist. I left my phone behind. This basically recreated the scenario I'm in while on the treadmill at the gym.

When I returned to my apartment (where I have plenty of cell reception, unlike the gym) and reconnected the watch to my phone via bluetooth, this time the watch quickly flickered from "Syncing..." back to "Synced". It seems like the phone used cell reception to quickly verify that I still had digital rights to the music that is synced on my watch in that "flickering" moment.

Can that be it?

Last edited:

sethlution

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2011
There's an option in Privacy->Location and Nearby App or sth like that. Is it off? Although I'm not sure it would affect battery life this much

aphex2000

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2014
Same here, started 2 or 3 days ago... Apple Watch & (recent) Apple Music user. Also added a bunch of pictures to my Photos library around the same time.

My Apple Watch playlist sync has always been very hit and miss (and slow) - so i also think this is the likely culprit.

Gonza211

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2012
Any news regards this issue? Had this happen to me today and it drained my battery insanely fast. Apple Watch Nike+ here with Apple Music Playlist sync. On iOS 10.1 not 10.1.1 which I plan to updating today.

aphex2000

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2014
Actually i have a suspicion...

I unpaired / re-paired my watch, music started syncing again and everything was great; until today - same issue, app store 90% battery use, hot phone, etc.

I think it happens when you have both your phone & watch on the chargers but not long enough to sync the playlist (i had them on the charger for 10' while showering) - it seems like the sync process gets stuck and burns through CPU - and will break the sync process going forward until re-pairing the watch in most cases.

According to XCode instruments, the guilty process is "ATC"

dmb051980

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2016
I finally got this working....here are my steps:
  • unpaired/repaired the watch. Didn't restore (this seems like the only fix to stop the battery drain on the phone)
  • I downloaded all the music from my playlist locally on the iPhone. The watch says it will do this when selecting the playlist but it doesn't
Once the music was on my iPhone I then selected it to sync on the watch and no battery drain!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.