Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kmichalec

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2010
Dont want to play my hand to Apple and ask them directly (yet), for fear they will just say no.

We released a new App to the App Store just recently that was approved, and then realized the screenshots we included were of test accounts that were really past due, which is not the image we want to show customers. We wanted to just update the screenshots to be of current accounts (same screens, just using diff, current accounts), but unfortunately, due to a number of screenshot update abuses from scammers, as of last year, Apple changed the policy so that once the app is approved, you can't update the screenshots any more (which screws over us who legitimately want to change them).

So, my question is, can I resubmit the exact same IPA, with nothing but a minor updated version number increase (1.0.0 to 1.0.1), and include the new screenshots? Will Apple reject the submission because the file is the same? Will they know? Could I just put in the change log something generic like "Minor Improvements", as technically, I am improving the submission, it's just the screenshots?

We don't really want to submit a new build, as the process to have a new build made and submitted is very tedious within our company, as it requires a number of checks & balances processes and steps. Plus, the vendor who helped create the app, and does the builds, would likely charge us, as this is not a bug or support fix under warranty, since it was our oversight upon initial submission.

Any thoughts? Has anyone ever submitted the same build as a new version number before and had it approved/rejected?

Thanks in advance.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
You will need to do a new build to increase the version number contained in the IPA. Apple checks this. So prepare for tediousness and consulting fees.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
We don't really want to submit a new build, as the process to have a new build made and submitted is very tedious within our company, as it requires a number of checks & balances processes and steps. Plus, the vendor who helped create the app, and does the builds, would likely charge us, as this is not a bug or support fix under warranty, since it was our oversight upon initial submission.

Any thoughts? Has anyone ever submitted the same build as a new version number before and had it approved/rejected?

Thanks in advance.
This problem suggests you also need to revise the "tedious" build process within your company, so that things like this don't happen again. You should do that process revision first, and double-check it against Apple's submission polcies, to make sure there isn't some policy other than screenshots that needs to be accommodated.

After the process is revised, do a trial run without making a new build, and see if the process actually works. I know it may sound crazy, but you'd be surprised what can get omitted from steps in a production process that are only noticed in a trial run.

Only after the process has been revised and a trial run successfully completed should you initiate vendor contact and negotiation.

kmichalec

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2010
This problem suggests you also need to revise the "tedious" build process within your company, so that things like this don't happen again. You should do that process revision first, and double-check it against Apple's submission polcies, to make sure there isn't some policy other than screenshots that needs to be accommodated.

After the process is revised, do a trial run without making a new build, and see if the process actually works. I know it may sound crazy, but you'd be surprised what can get omitted from steps in a production process that are only noticed in a trial run.

Only after the process has been revised and a trial run successfully completed should you initiate vendor contact and negotiation.

Thanks for the lecture and not answering the question. The process isn't going to change, not in a company our size. The process is there for a reason. And to be accurate, we received the screenshots from the business customers. THEY used the wrong ones and provided them to us. I'm just trying to figure out if I can submit the same IPA file again or not with the new screenshots. If you can answer that for me, then great. If not, then thanks for you previous response.

----------

You will need to do a new build to increase the version number contained in the IPA. Apple checks this. So prepare for tediousness and consulting fees.

Thanks Firewood. Much appreciated. That's what I was thinking would be the case. Just wanted to see if anyone knew for sure or had tried to submit the same IPA, and got rejected.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
We just did an update for a customer, which was just a change to the name of the app (both the bundle and the app store listing) and an update to the app store icon. Also, as indicated above, you can’t submit a build to iTC without incrementing the version.

We had the typical several day pre-review-queue wait, but it went in and back out (successfully) of review very quick, like an hour. I put a review note that indicated the limited changes and we’ve pushed several updates, so I guess there wasn’t much to review. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.