Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 1, 2014
Hey,

I've just noticed that updates listed in the Update tab of the App Store app on my iOS 7.1.2 iPhone no longer make mention of the update version number. All you get now is the name of the app and the size of the download.

If the version number is mentioned in the What's New section that's just because the dev posted that info there, it's not guaranteed.

Anyone else seeing this?

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 1, 2014
I've quit the App Store app by removing it from the Application Switcher, and re-booted the phone. The app still doesn't display the update version number.

Another possibly related issue is that, several days ago, one of the updates listed was one I had already applied. That app still has an update listed, but now I can't be sure if it's the same one because there's obviously no version number mentioned. But from the release notes it appears to be the same one.

Maybe related to Apple's revamp of the iTunes Store?

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
Well, it's not just you. Looking at update history on my iPad, updates as recently as the 9th showed the version number. Updates this morning do not.

Weird. I definitely prefer having it visible!

Edit: iP5 and iPad mini, 7.1.2

Last edited:

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Numbers are still displayed for me... but I'm on 8.0.2, not 7.1.2. I don't have a 7 device anymore so can't test that.

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
I also can confirm this. iPad 4 and iPad Mini-R, both running iOS 7.1.2 (awaiting iOS 8.1 to upgrade) are displaying only Date and Size, no version numbers.

iPhone 6 with iOS 8.0.2 shows version numbers next to the app icon on the Updates list, along with the Date and Size of update.

Not nice.

chirop

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2013
What the hell?!

Same on my iPad , still working on my iPhone tough now I am scared of closing it.

Both are on 7.1.2

EDIT:now my iPhone lost the version numbers.....

Last edited:

iososx

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2014
USA
Apple continues to dumb down the tech experience. Throwaways, they're the appliances of the tech world. The moment Apple placed their iOS devices in Wallyworld, I knew Apple was hyper focused on mass market madness.

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
Apple continues to dumb down the tech experience. Throwaways, they're the appliances of the tech world. The moment Apple placed their iOS devices in Wallyworld, I knew Apple was hyper focused on mass market madness.

Oh, that's elitist piffle.

I bought my first Apple device, a 2nd Gen iPod Touch, in a WalMart in March 2009 on a whim and it was glorious. After a brief introduction, I was hooked and bought an iPhone 3GS from Apple within 8 weeks. For every iPhone and iPad since, I've either pre-ordered from Apple online because it's been easy to do or walked into one of the 3 Apple stores that are in my city.

It's not important where you buy your device. It's important that you enjoy using it and that it does what you need.

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 1, 2014
Well, it's nice to know it's not just me! I've checked the Mac App Store on my 10.9.5 MBP and the version numbers for updates are displaying there, so I'm going to go out on a limb and blame it on the iTunes Store revamp.

Hopefully the Update section will start working properly again in due course.

saudor

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2011
When I'm on the update tab and I see that there is an update, I press update and it just launches the app.

i heard this happening to a friend of mine.. for me, the update just hangs and spins forever

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Perhaps there's an app store server or two that has something weird going on and that data isn't being provided for some reason.

blueflower

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2006
I am on 7.1.2 and since having my 5s for a little over a month no version numbers in app store. I too would like to see the version numbers.

Lefty21

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2012
Lexington, KY
Just tested this on my iPhone 4S running iOS 7.1.2 and the issue described by the OP is happening. Updates from the 9th and earlier display version numbers, updates since then do not have version numbers anywhere to be found. If this is a "feature" is a dumb one.

Sherifftruman

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
Just tested this on my iPhone 4S running iOS 7.1.2 and the issue described by the OP is happening. Updates from the 9th and earlier display version numbers, updates since then do not have version numbers anywhere to be found. If this is a "feature" is a dumb one.

Can you actually update the apps?

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 1, 2014
Well, it's almost two months later and this bork still exists - appears to be permanent.

What a gyp.

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 1, 2014
Might need an update to fix it in iOS 7 then. I just received a new update alert for the App of the Week, God of Light, and nothing I do (other than viewing the full App Store description) reveals the version number.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.