Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thebmall

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2014
Hello!

So, I love dropbox and have lots of PDFS, movies, jpegs, text etc that I want to have on me at all times so that I can show a film crew, etc.

Problem is dropbox is limited in downloading things locally to my iPad. I can "favorite" certain folders. But, if we're talking about hundreds of items. And items that are constantly being added and replaced...It doesn't seem like a reasonable option.

Are there any apps that work in tandem with Dropbox to sync up ENTIRE folders, keep them up to date, and mostly importantly have them downloaded locally on my iPad so that I don't have to find a wi-fi spot?

I'm totally pumped to buy an iPad and dig in, but if I can't do this basic task, it doesn't seem worth it for my needs. I've heard of an app called "documents" by readdle. But, what others are out there? And can documents handle all sorts of formats?

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
Hello!

So, I love dropbox and have lots of PDFS, movies, jpegs, text etc that I want to have on me at all times so that I can show a film crew, etc.

Problem is dropbox is limited in downloading things locally to my iPad. I can "favorite" certain folders. But, if we're talking about hundreds of items. And items that are constantly being added and replaced...It doesn't seem like a reasonable option.

Are there any apps that work in tandem with Dropbox to sync up ENTIRE folders, keep them up to date, and mostly importantly have them downloaded locally on my iPad so that I don't have to find a wi-fi spot?

I'm totally pumped to buy an iPad and dig in, but if I can't do this basic task, it doesn't seem worth it for my needs. I've heard of an app called "documents" by readdle. But, what others are out there? And can documents handle all sorts of formats?

Looks like you need an app with 2 way sync with DropBox. PDF Expert by Readdle can do this. Goodreader is another wonderful option for this. I don't remember if the free Documents by Readdle can do this or not.

thebmall

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2014
PDF Expert...Looks like a great program, but Im under the impression it can't play movies or view jpegs etc through there. Am I wrong? Is it essentially a more larger featured DOCUMENTS by Readdle with added PDF stuff?

noisycats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2010
The 'ham. Alabama.
Documents will automatically download a sink dropbox folder provided it is open and you have connectivity. And it will display JPEG's and play video and music files.

After placing the files in the dropbox folder on your computer, open Documents to the same folder on your iPad. Provided you have connectivity, everything will automatically download. It keeps having to download each file separately.

And it's free.:)

valdikor

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2012
Slovakia
Documents by Readdle supports two-way sync with Dropbox (also OneDrive, Box, etc.) if you turn it on in the options. It's my document-reading app of choice and I can wholeheartedly recommend it, especially since it's free.

infantrytrophy

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2013
Huh, looks like documents does work for this, thank you!

I agree, Dropbox and Documents by Readdle are good choices for reading & syncing PDFs, but there is one function missing. How do you quickly get the contents of a web page from Safari on an iPad into PDF form, so you can then move the PDF file into Dropbox? You can do that from Safari on a Mac, but not on an iPad.

There are some work-arounds, like email the URL, then copy-and-paste the URL into the mini-browser in Documents. But that's pretty clumsy. Apple really dropped the ball on this.

JTravers

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2010
I agree, Dropbox and Documents by Readdle are good choices for reading & syncing PDFs, but there is one function missing. How do you quickly get the contents of a web page from Safari on an iPad into PDF form, so you can then move the PDF file into Dropbox? You can do that from Safari on a Mac, but not on an iPad.

There are some work-arounds, like email the URL, then copy-and-paste the URL into the mini-browser in Documents. But that's pretty clumsy. Apple really dropped the ball on this.

Or you could create a bookmarklet in Safari that opens the page in Documents automatically. Here's the JavaScript code you need to do that.
Code:
javascript:location.href=%22rhttp%22+location.href.substring(4);

Tap on that bookmarklet, and then save the page as a PDF directly to a synched Dropbox folder in Documents. Pretty simple and easy. HTH.

For those that prefer Google Drive to Dropbox, I believe Google Chrome allows saving pages as PDFs directly to your Google Drive via Cloudprint.

Morgan5000

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2015
I have a stupid question: I would like to access ,from my IPad Air 2, to all my picture on DROPBOX when I'm on Twitter. Like I do on my Samsung Galaxy S5

Or

Is it possible to create a folder from my photos album linked to Dropbox ( like on Samsung Galaxy S5)

Donoghan

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA

An App called "Red" does this: converts web pages to PDFs, then you can save to Dropbox. Works great.

Red: Web to PDF Converter by Julian Yap
https://appsto.re/us/2PrXR.i

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.