Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thomasparra

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2022
I managed to trim down my library from 12k to 8k pictures manually but there are still a lot of pictures that are more or less the same pictures of the same things (but not exactly the same angle for example so Apple does not detect them as duplicates).

Is there an app/tool/software that would scan my Photos library and show me similar pictures?

Many thanks,

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
while you can’t ASFAIK use e.g. color as a term, maybe the search-option in Apple Photos can somewhat help: it will find you e.g. all containing a ball, birds or boats, a location, etc., one can actually combine search terms separating them from each other by commata. boats, water, people will present you with all corresponding photos in your library (and, if you took photographs of signs or text, the ones of these containing the words). You then sort/cull from there. :)

Otherwise I am interested to see whether someone has or knows solution which works in Apple Photos. For images accessible in the file system there are several solution to do that, e.g. findimagedupes, DVR, or Geequie.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.