Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 14, 2008
UK
Looking for a decent, paid or not app to expand rar files.
Constantly having issues with Stuffit Expander.
Don’t want anything that hijacks system, needs to be legit.

lostless

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2005
The Unarchiver
Best app for mac to decompress .zips, .rar, .....ect
It pretty much integrates itself into the OS, so it acts just like apples own unzipper, but does a lot more. Best of all, its free. Been using for 10ish years.

Reactions: MSastre

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 14, 2008
UK
Don’t understand why an app (stuffit) which indicates it opens rar files bombs, but then what makes another app different......all Rar’s I am trying to open originate from windows (training vids).
I was put off by unarchiver with some of the 1 star reviews saying it takes over all your icons etc.

lostloss: do you use the App Store version.

lostless

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2005
Yes, I use the app store version now. But I've been using it well before the app store was a thing. The "take over your icons" is a tad hyperbolic, and is no concern. MacOS will change icons to what ever app you default to open certain file types. If i choose to open text documents to open by defualt in BBedit instead of text edit, all txt files will change to BB edits document icon. I made all zip files and rar files open by default to the unarchiver, so those files now use that apps file icons which looks similar to the apps icon. Minor issue and should not be even considered in my book, unless your an icon snob. LOL

Reactions: MarkC426

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 14, 2008
UK
Cool I will give it a go.....thanks dude.
Does it open 7zip also do you know?

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 14, 2008
UK
Many thanks........?
Opened rar and 7zip (which I bought months ago) no problem....;)

Reactions: lostless
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.