Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macstatic

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Norway
I've been experiencing unstable Internet access from my provider (cable-modem with cabled (Ethernet) connections in our home) which means that the signal is lost, the reappears perhaps half a minute later. The cable modem LEDs flash, indicating a lost connection, so this is most likely a problem outside of my control. I alerted the cable provider which said they should look into it, but the problem is still there.
But to make troubleshooting easier, is there a Mac app I could use which will do the following:

a) alert me (i.e. by playing a sound and/or show a pop-up message)
and
b) log the time/date of when the WAN signal has been lost and when it's back again

I'm on MacOS 10.14.6 (Mojave)

macstatic

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Norway
Thanks. I've just downloaded and started it up, but I'm unsure what to enter in the "Target" field.
Should I look up the WAN IP number for my computer (I have two instances of the IP widget which can access at any time from a desktop Space along with my other widgets. I've also just learnt (Find your IP address on a Mac) that I can enter the following in the OSX Terminal app:

Code:
curl ipecho.net/plain ; echo

So is it simply a matter of entering that WAN address in the "target" field and let it run? And if the connection is broken it'll tell me and log it?
I see it's a trial version, and the website says you can choose between "Free", "Standard" and "Professional", but I see no such option. Perhaps it runs in trial mode for 14 days, then asks you to decide?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.