Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LERsince1991

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Hi,

I am using iCloud Drive to store all my files and photos, I would like an iPad Pro app which can read pdf magazines and books directly from iCloud Drive.

The app should not take a copy it needs to be able to open them only and store links, the same way pages does when you open a pages doc from iCloud Drive.

The app should have a landscape two page view.
Preferably with page turn animations.
Preferably night reading mode.
Preferably highlighting capability.

I'd like to find the best app to read magazines and ebooks natively with iCloud Drive.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I'm not sure if this will do the trick necessarily, but have you tried the app called Documents from Readdle?

LERsince1991

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
UK
I'm not sure if this will do the trick necessarily, but have you tried the app called Documents from Readdle?
I have actually just tried another lot of apps out including the one you have suggested "Documents".
It is a very good app as it is marking up (highlighting) iCloud documents directly, and not taking a copy!
Also puts pdf's pages two side by side rather than just one.
Just a shame it doesn't do page animations (hate scrolling when reading a book), and doesn't do night time reading.
Best so far though...

Scrap that....
Foxit PDF is better as it has a proper night mode and double page view.

In fact Good reader is better as I can set it as double page with or without cover

Last edited:

Eric5273

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2009
New Jersey
I have actually just tried another lot of apps out including the one you have suggested "Documents".
It is a very good app as it is marking up (highlighting) iCloud documents directly, and not taking a copy!
Also puts pdf's pages two side by side rather than just one.
Just a shame it doesn't do page animations (hate scrolling when reading a book), and doesn't do night time reading.
Best so far though...

Scrap that....
Foxit PDF is better as it has a proper night mode and double page view.

In fact Good reader is better as I can set it as double page with or without cover

The company that makes Documents also makes an app called PDF Expert that works well with Documents and provides more PDF capability. You may want to check that out.

ajiuo

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
iOS 9.3, when released, will be able to sync PDF & ePub files across iCloud from within the iBooks app... However clicking a PDF file in the iCloud app still doesn't open it in the iBooks app... It's only beta 1 though.

Also, the way iCloud works... Any app will make a copy of a document that it opens. Unless the document is already in the apps own iCloud folder.

So far the iBooks folder is still hidden in 9.3 beta 1. Hopefully they change that... But you will need to keep PDF files in the folder for what ever app you use

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.