Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thatFolkGuy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2022
Northern Virginia
Greetings.

New to recording on the iPad - 6th Gen, 128 GB, running ios 15.6.1.

I have a steinberg UR44C, which the iPad recognizes. I've got two mics plugged in.

I'd like to record my guitar in stereo. I've tried a handful of (free) apps -- none have let me record the guitar in stereo (or I haven't figured out how to configure them correctly). I've been able to do this plugged in to my android tablet using Open Camera, so I know that it's possible.

Are there ios apps that will allow simultaneous track recording and run on my old-ish iPad? Simpler & cheaper is preferable, but I'm fine with spending a nominal fee.

(Cubasis comes with the UR44C interface, but it'll take me weeks to understand (if ever) -- all the videos I've found so far are VST-based, mono-based; I just want to record stereo.)

Thanks kindly.

Last edited:

Earthnail

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2012
Hi @thatFolkGuy, I'm the developer behind Tape It. This sounds like a use case we're interested in supporting. I'm about to post a dedicated thread to present the app, but long-story short it's a recorder for musicians. Not a mobile studio, just a recorder.

It's designed for iPhones, but it does work on the iPad. It's a freemium app, but stereo recording and external audio interfaces are limited to the paid version. It's probably more expensive than the nominal fee you mentioned; being priced at $6/month, $49/year or $99/lifetime. Our pricing is aimed at professional musicians and songwriters, where this is an easy business expense.

With all that said, I'd be curious to explore your use case. When it comes to external devices, we have mostly been focused on external microphones for now, not external audio interfaces. With microphones, you can simply have the app automatically detect whether the device is mono or stereo. With external audio interfaces, I guess we'd need some kind of configuration screen so you can select the inputs. We don't have that yet.

If you're interested in trying it, DM me or send me an email at thomas@tape.it, and I'll send you a voucher for the premium version so we can try how the UR44C is supported by Tape It!

Earthnail

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2012
@thatFolkGuy I just verified again the behaviour of audio interfaces with more than two channels:

Tape It will record in stereo on channels 1 and 2. So if you plug your mics in there, it will work out of the box.

We’ll add proper channel configuration soon so you can also record 3/4 (or just channel 2), but for now I’m glad to report that Tape It already works perfectly for your use case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.