Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Samplasion

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2022
Posting this as a last-ditch effort as I couldn't find anything, neither here nor on Google.

I recently bought a pair of AirPods Pro 2 and a refurbished iPhone 13 mini. All went fine for the first few weeks but one day, out of the blue, music playback stopped pausing automatically when taking out one of the buds.

I thought it was an issue with the AirPods Pro themselves, but it doesn't occur when I pair the buds to my MacBook, which leads me to believe the issue is in the connection with the iPhone. I've already tried toggling AED off and on again through the settings, forgetting and re-pairing the AirPods, even turning the phone off and on again, but to no avail.

I'm very confused as to what to do now. Does anyone else experience this?

EllaWilson3

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2024
Automatic Ear Detection uses sensors in the AirPods, so make sure these sensors are clean and nothing is blocking them, like dirt. Simply wiping them with a soft, clean cloth without any lint should help.

Samplasion

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2022
I tried that, but they did already work with the MacBook before. Anyway I updated my phone to iOS 17.4 RC and the problem went away

EllaWilson3

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2024
Ha! I wanted to offer you to update the system. But for some reason, I thought that most like you'd already done it, and it would be silly to suggest something like this.

Reactions: Samplasion

Samplasion

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2022
Ha! I wanted to offer you to update the system. But for some reason, I thought that most like you'd already done it, and it would be silly to suggest something like this.
To be fair, I would've waited for the stable release, but the issue was driving me insane. I'm glad I could fix it in the end haha. Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.