Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NWCP

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2006
Does anyone know how many Apple 1 machines are known to exist? Of the 200 built how many are around today and are any in working order? They seem to be the rarest of computers from what I've read.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
According to Wikipedia, an estimated 30-50 remain in existence. I don't know what that person's source is for that information.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
NWCP said:
Does anyone know how many Apple 1 machines are known to exist? Of the 200 built how many are around today and are any in working order? They seem to be the rarest of computers from what I've read.

There are rarer computers, but the Apple 1 might be the rarest 'production' computer. (If you could even call it a production model, so few were made, and all were hand-assembled in a garage...)

macEfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
yes, they are rare, the last one fetched $40,000 or more on ebay..

if you are ever in the washington DC area, stop by the Smithsonian Museum they have an exibit with vintage computers and the Apple I is one of them.. It looked so cool with its wooden case and tiny keyboard :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.