Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Agent007

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 3, 2006
United States
I use my G4 Powerbook for Dreamweaver, Photoshop, and almost daily full-screen movie viewing. I recently bought a Samsung 225bw 22" LCD and returned it for horrible backlight bleeding. The Gateway FPD2275W I got to replace it isn't much better. I really wanted an Apple display, but backed away from the cost. I'm now willing to pay for a 20", if there isn't any backlight bleed. And that is the question. Please tell me if you know for SURE whether or not the latest 20" Cinema Display exhibits backlight bleeding during dark movies in a dark or dimly lit room. Virtually every clip i watch will have some size of black bars, and I can't stand them to be corrupted by backlight leakage.

Just a thought: what's the deal with the backlight bleed on these LCD monitors? I don't see it on any LCD HDTVs no matter the darkness of the room.

THX1139

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2006
The odds are you will get some degree of bleeding. I've seen a few displays without, but the general consensus on many forums is that the ACD's bleed. Mine does and I almost switched it out... but I was worried I'd get something worse in return. Like a stuck pixel. Other than the graininess and the slight bleed, my display is great. I rarely work in total black and I don't watch movies on my display, so the bleed is not a major issue.

There is no way to guarantee you'll get a display that doesn't bleed (or have a stuck pixel) unless you go into a store and buy a demo that you can check out before you buy. Other than that, be prepared to pay a lot of restocking fees. The only way around it, is to buy a CRT.

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
bleed? am i missing something...what is this you are talking about? plz don't tell me that stuff leaks...
No it is when there is a light area around the edges or cornors of the screen when displaying a very dark image. It is very common in most LCD monitors.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.