Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacManiac1224

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 21, 2001
NY
I am in the market for a new lcd, and I am torn between the apple 20' and the new formac 19. The formac is $500 cheaper, has a higher contrast ratio, and a better viewing angle by 20 degrees. Which one do you guys think I should buy?

Also, has anyone had a Formac? What did you guys think about it? Thanks again

Fender2112

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2002
Charlotte, NC
You should compare the resolutions. The 19" has the same resolution as a 17" (1280x1024) which means icons, palettes and such will appear bigger. You don't really gain anything from the 19". It's like sitting normal at 17" then moving 12" closer. Unless you are getting more pixels with a 19" you should go with a 17". I just don't think 19" displays are useful.

Apple's 20" has a resolution of 1680x1050 which gives you nice crisp images.
This would be closer to the Formac 20" which is 1600x1200. If cost is the issue, go with the Apple 17". For the about the same cost as the 20", you get two 17's...that would be sweet. :cool:

I've been comparing LCD's for several weeks because I am also going to get one soon. I always go back to the Apple 20". It's expensive but it looks great.

There was a review a week or so ago, MacWorld.com I think, which compared monitors. you should check it out.

hugemullens

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2002
Michigan
I have the formac 17 and i love it. The 19 has the same resolution at the 17, so its probley not as crisp, and you gain no relstate on the screen. If you decision is between the apple 20 and formac 19 go with the apple. But give that 17 a look too, buy yourself a ipod or a tungsten T with the savngs over the apple 20.

skymaXimus

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2003
Why didn't Apple put a DVI out on the 12" PowerBook? This is the one thing that drives me crazy about my computer. I would love to get an Apple display, but they're all ADC (understandable). I know there is the converter box, but thats an extra $299. Sigh, just a rant and rave.

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
-Just one small note

The Apple Monitors consistently rate as the best (yes I said it, "the best") monitors in their various categories.

Sure, there are monitors with higher resolutions, but they don't rank as high, for vaious reasons: color accuracy, clarity, durability, etc.

Just food for thought.

andrewh

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2002
San Francisco
I have the Apple 20" and the Formac 20" side by side in a dual display environment. I use the Apple LCD as the primary display because I prefer it over the Formac. I got the Formac first and I thought it was the greatest thing ever made until hooking the Apple up beside it. It is still a fantastic display, you can't go wrong with either. In future though I will keep buying the Apple displays.

Now, I know you are asking about the 19" display and not the 20", but perhaps my comments are still valid if they are using the same Fujitsu supplied screens.

groovebuster

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
3rd rock from the sun...
Hey, that's an interesting info. I didn't have the chance to see them side by side. So you think the Apple LCD is better in color accuracy and contrast? Since I have to purchase a new monitor relatively soon , I want to be sure to buy the best monitor regarding picture quality.

groovebuster

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by andrewh
I have the Apple 20" and the Formac 20" side by side in a dual display environment. I use the Apple LCD as the primary display because I prefer it over the Formac. I got the Formac first and I thought it was the greatest thing ever made until hooking the Apple up beside it. It is still a fantastic display, you can't go wrong with either. In future though I will keep buying the Apple displays.

How long after you got the Formac, did you get the Apple? What was the time gap?

arn

the future

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2002
You should also keep in mind that Formac's support is one of the worst in the industry.

BTW have you had a widescreen display before? Once you had one, you will never go back!

andrewh

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2002
San Francisco
Originally posted by arn
How long after you got the Formac, did you get the Apple? What was the time gap?

arn

I bought the Formac display in October or November of 2002, as soon as they were announced. I picked up the Apple 20" Cinema display about two weeks after they came out, I'm guessing around January or February. So, roughly 3-4 months apart. What are your thoughts Arn?

I got a bit burned on the price of the Formac, as I paid $1699 for it. They dropped their prices after Apple released their 20" for $1299.

As a side note, they look only slightly awkward side by side due to the different aspect ratios. I use the Formac mostly for finder widows, tool palettes, a formac studio tv window, the occasional DVD while working, iTunes and dragthing menus. I have to angle them since they barely fit on my desk. This is definitely the most tricked out Mac I've had the pleasure of working with. But yes, added up it wasn't cheap either.

I hope eventually though I can just work on one 30" Apple Cinema display. How sweet would that look beside a new G5.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.