Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whawhat

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 9, 2006
hi, just got a used apple lcd and the buttons on the side (brightness and power) are not responding when i press. did i get a bad display?

r6girl

Administrator/Project Manager
Staff member
Sep 6, 2003
New England
did i get a bad display?

not necessarily - check the display settings in your system preferences first. there's a pane under "options" (in tiger, can't speak for previous versions of OS X) where you can completely disable the buttons on the cinema display. see the attached screen shot...

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    46.2 KB · Views: 82

whawhat

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 9, 2006
not necessarily - check the display settings in your system preferences first. there's a pane under "options" (in tiger, can't speak for previous versions of OS X) where you can completely disable the buttons on the cinema display. see the attached screen shot...

thank u. the bigger issue is now when i start up my computer (it's hooked up to my g4 powerbook ti) it flickers on and off a few times and sometimes the screen starts and sometimes it just stays black (??)

anyone else have this problem?

thanks

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
It sounds like it is searching/switching the resolution and it only supports three resolutions, else it goes on black. When it stays black, do you have mirroring on? If so, turn this of, or you have the resolution of your powerbook on a resolution that the ACD doesn't support.

DXoverDY

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005

Man you're my freaking hero. I was wondering how i might be able to get the power button to just turn the display on/off :)

Now I can leave some downloads going and turn the display off while i'm away. (it does automatically turn off but hey, figure i can help it along a bit instead of waiting 10 minutes)

BackInTheSaddle

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2002
Olympic Peninsula, WA
I have a 1G Apple Cinema display and the power button no longer works, regardless of the System Preferences setting. The "brightness" button on the front panel works, and the power button glows when I press it, but it seems to have no effect. I used to be able to power down/sleep my system with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.