Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

psycho bob

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2003
Leeds, England
Tomshardware.com has posted a review of professional monitors and it features Apple's 23in Cinema display.

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/display/20050830/index.html

The review includes colour tests, response, viewing angle etc.

Looking at this review the panel is no better and maybe even worse then the previous generation which I must say I preferred. Looks like the Dell's are not only better priced with more features but may actually perform better as well. Everyone demanded Apple update to aluminium displays (big deal!!) looks like they need to do so again and actually offer something cutting ege other than just a big size and Firewire hub before I think of replacing mine.

Dr. Dastardly

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
I live in a giant bucket!
Everyone has different opinions on the ACD's. Especially when compared with Dell's. Really I can't tell how they can be very different seeing that they are the same damn panel.

After you get through all the BS it comes down to this.

Dell=cheaper
Apple=prettier

But with that said Apple should really make it so that you receive a display with not a one dead pixle on it. Thankfully they have lowered there prices over the year but don't come close to Dell's. They should make up for it in service in dealing with returns. I personally would not buy a ACD from the Apple store. Buy from a place where you can easily return it if its not to your satisfaction.

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
The Dell 24 is Samsung LCD based so it's not
the same panel.

I think the Apple and Dell 20" are both Phillips panels.

We have to remember that large LCD's were the cutting edge rage 2 years ago and a lot has changed and improved along with manufacturing price drops.

Apple probably has a contract that needs to expire
before we'll see any changes.

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
I'm dazed and confused but I was under the impression that
the 23" was LG, and the 20"'s were Phillips
No clue about the 30"
and I know the 24" Dell is Samsung

Anyhoo,

The Apple 23" is the only one having " issues"

MrSugar

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2003
Yeah, the 23" is really the only one that is plagued. And boy oh boy, is it plagued. I own two of them and I have not been nearly as happy as I had hoped.

The monitors are beautiful in their enclosures, but the quality of the actual display is far less than I expected from apple. I had to go through an entire hassle of returning my "pink" display 4 times to apple before they finally sent me a new one. Once I received it, it was better... but my monitors still don't look the same. No matter how hard I calibrate I just can't get them perfect. Certain parts of the screen are dimmer and lose contrast, it's very frustrating.

Now really, don't get me all wrong here. I love my monitors, they are wonderful looking with my G5. They are very bright and sturdy (something that is very important to me), and they work well for everything I do.

However, for being as expensive as they were, I just can't say I am happy with the outcome. I bought foolishly on the precedence that Apple's monitors were the best of the best. Unfortunately this isn't the case, at least not with the 23" size. A lot of other people feel the same way I do, a brief search on google will pull this up.

I can say though, that the 30" and the 20" seem to not have nearly as many issues. In fact, as most people who own the 30" say, it is absolutely stunning.

My goal is to really encourage people to look at the options out there before they spend the money. Usually Apple is worth the dime, but in this case, I just wish I had shopped around a little more.

psycho bob

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2003
Leeds, England
The panels may be the same but I assume the backlights, seals and other circuitary will be different. The coatings may as well.

I don't want this to be another Apple Vs Dell debate especially as the test I linked didn't even contain one of their products. People talk of Apple products being flawed but somehow because the 23in is pretty and reasonably competitively priced compared to Sony, HP etc they let it go.

The 20in is a great product, the 30in is ground breaking but the 23in needs work. The article highlighted some important points although I don't think they touched on the colour issue. Response time is poor, colour and white/black point could be better. Certain viewing angles cause dark areas to merge and the single cable idea is great but why they don't branch them off sooner so you can plug them into hubs or maybe even use the hub of a second screen I don't know.

I think a big prolem is that compared to a few years ago LCD's are everywhere in all sizes at all price points. It is very hard to be different. The original Apple LCD's had that wow factor and were quality premium items without rivals, the new Al models have many rivals and the competition is very very good.

MrSugar

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2003
psycho bob said:
The panels may be the same but I assume the backlights, seals and other circuitary will be different. The coatings may as well.

I don't want this to be another Apple Vs Dell debate especially as the test I linked didn't even contain one of their products. People talk of Apple products being flawed but somehow because the 23in is pretty and reasonably competitively priced compared to Sony, HP etc they let it go.

The 20in is a great product, the 30in is ground breaking but the 23in needs work. The article highlighted some important points although I don't think they touched on the colour issue. Response time is poor, colour and white/black point could be better. Certain viewing angles cause dark areas to merge and the single cable idea is great but why they don't branch them off sooner so you can plug them into hubs or maybe even use the hub of a second screen I don't know.

I think a big prolem is that compared to a few years ago LCD's are everywhere in all sizes at all price points. It is very hard to be different. The original Apple LCD's had that wow factor and were quality premium items without rivals, the new Al models have many rivals and the competition is very very good.

Well said, thanks.

psycho bob

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2003
Leeds, England
maclamb said:
What's your take on the HP F2304 (older: 2335)?
I've seen good reviews for that.

I liked the 2335, it is/was the best looking monitor next to Apple's range. It is also cheaper (very slightly) and although meant for business performs very well across a large range of tasks. It uses an LG/Philips SIPS panel so its performance as far as response time and looks are exceptional.

Review here http://www.anandtech.com/displays/showdoc.aspx?i=2467&p=9

The Dell 24in apparently uses an inferior but cheaper PVA based panel.

I don't know where the HP F2304 stands ie; does it replace the 2335? The new model packs more features but for a lot of people these just add bulk and spoil the otherwise clean looks. Who outside of a business world pays that amount and uses integrated speakers? If the technology is the same it will be good but I'd still go for the 2335. When more reviews come out though I'm prepared to change my opinion. The 2304 doesn't appear on HP's UK pages, is it the newer model?

The honest truth though is without sounding a snob, if Apple got there act together and made the current 23in perform either like the Eizo ones (ie; aimed for creative markets pure and simple) or Samsung/HP, perhaps adding an S-video input along the way I would happily pay a premium for it. Right now it may look great but you'd always have the feeling you bought it for the wrong reasons. A 30in and a 20in (for palettes, browse etc) would be a better combo for not much more than two 23's. And even though the resolution per panel is less 2x20in would beat 1x23in for most creative purposes (hi res photo and pure HD editing asside perhaps).

notheremuch

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2005
Any more thoughts of the ACD 23"? I saw it in store and the size really grabbed me. My intention is/was the 20", but when I picture myself in 6 months, I seem to think I'll be kicking myself for not spending the bit more for the 23". (I'm on a 17" for 2 years now...)

notheremuch

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2005
notheremuch said:
Any more thoughts of the ACD 23"? I saw it in store and the size really grabbed me. My intention is/was the 20", but when I picture myself in 6 months, I seem to think I'll be kicking myself for not spending the bit more for the 23". (I'm on a 17" for 2 years now...)

One last bump before I buy... :rolleyes:

aminadab

macrumors regular
May 3, 2005
Portland, Oregon
I have to say that after taking my 23" back in and once again, exchanging it for a new one each time, that finally I have one that has NO dead pixals, NO pink issues and IS stunning to look at. I've calibrated it a couple of times -- just minor tweaking -- and the colors are great, it's plenty bright, crisp, etc. Also, I think the size is perfect -- not too big, not too small. I use it to watch dvds often and it's spectacular. I know the 23" has many problems, but at least there are some out there that are terrific. Just expect to make a couple of runs back and forth from the apple store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.