Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hauntvictim

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 23, 2009
Orange County, CA
Hey all, I have searched every where and all videos/ information appears not helpful. I have a Samsung 4k UHD TV, just purchased a few months ago (outside return window). Whenever we have the apple tv in use, the image settings are horrible off. Shows/ movies just appear darker. Does anyone have an idea as to what are optimum settings for the Apple tv. I have seen numerous postings of turn off Apple TV 4k ability? I hate my Samsung TV but it was a cheap price darks are way too dark. Ugh.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
One big thing, this all assumes your TV has HDR support, without knowing the model of your TV, I'm not sure this applies.

----

Put the Default setting in 4k, any version, This will just apply to your menus and screen saver.
here's the important part, turn on match rate and range, That will cause the appleTV to switch it's output to match what you're playing, If you don't have that turned on, it will modify the image to fit in what you have set for default. When it modifies what you're watching, it does an OK job, but can lead to less than desirable results.

One small note, with turning on rate/range matching, your TV will blackout for a second or 2 anytime the aTV changes it's output. So anytime you start or stop a video playing, Or also anytime the screen saver starts or stops. But you'll get the best image for what you're watching, so it's worth the trade off.

I leave mine in 4k SDR, it's way too bright for me in either of the HDR versions.

Also on your TV, there might be a setting for HDMI deep color, or something similar, make sure it's enabled for the port the aTV is plugged into. I had been playing around with something, and turned it off, and forgot about it. My TV has been dim recently and couldn't figure out why, then I saw that it was off, and re-enabled and my picture is much better now.

you also need a decent quality HDMI cable. It doesn't need to be $100+ and made with gold extracted from king tut's mask , but don't get the $1.99 bargin basement cable either.
If you're doing HDR, you need a cable that says HDMI 2.0 or 2.1 on it.
It should be around $25 for a 5ft cable

Reactions: hauntvictim

abhi182

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2016
Hey all, I have searched every where and all videos/ information appears not helpful. I have a Samsung 4k UHD TV, just purchased a few months ago (outside return window). Whenever we have the apple tv in use, the image settings are horrible off. Shows/ movies just appear darker. Does anyone have an idea as to what are optimum settings for the Apple tv. I have seen numerous postings of turn off Apple TV 4k ability? I hate my Samsung TV but it was a cheap price darks are way too dark. Ugh.
Your last statement likely points to the fact that your TV , while technically HDR does not hit enough nits to do justice to HDR.
The wider color and contrast gamut will appear washed out on most cheaper TVs that typically top out at 300 nits.

The easiest solution is to go to your ATV display settings and set it to 4k SDR / 60hz. If you like what you see (you most likely will), leave it at that.

hauntvictim

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 23, 2009
Orange County, CA
UPDATE: My partner had messed with the accessibility settings a long time ago, therefore it had messed up the colors. Since I did update to 14.5 before I could do the color balance I had to turn all that off. LOL. So now it is fixed and havent tried color balance yet. But high praise to TVos 14.5

• Haha
Reactions: Meuti

dz5b609

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2019
In general for TV settings best is to turn screen mode to movie, turn off every 'special' option (meaning enhancers, reducers other ****) off, 'sharpness' to 0 or 50 (depending on brand), contrast full (unless you see it really over saturating), brightness 50%, backlit 100%. And picture size/overscan to whatever setting is the 1:1 ratio.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.