Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JavaScript Jackal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2022
Before someone says this post should not be here, hear me out. Developers have a different need and perspective that I am looking for.

For developers that have a iMac 5k screen they use for development (Xcode). What is you experience/suggestion regarding the screen? Especially regarding your eyes.

Thinking about getting a Mac Studio display to use as in portrait mode for Xcode development. Want to make sure 5k at 60hz is easy on the eyes.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
I've used a 5K display since the first 5K iMac in 2014 and I love it. 220 PPI is perfect for keeping text sharp and @2x the scaling makes everything have a nice size as well. The brightness, colour reproduction, sharpness and general pleasantness of using the Apple/LG 5K displays is all there. I've never been bothered by refresh rate and hardly notice the difference between 120hz and 60hz if I'm honest.

However; If you're thinking you'll run a Studio Display in portrait orientation you will be disappointed. Only the ProDisplay XDR supports orientation changes. Now if you attach it to a VESA mount you could maybe spin that but unlike the ProDisplay the Studio Display has no mechanism for detecting rotation and adjusting in software and might not even allow the display orientation to be in portrait mode.

JavaScript Jackal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2022
I've used a 5K display since the first 5K iMac in 2014 and I love it. 220 PPI is perfect for keeping text sharp and @2x the scaling makes everything have a nice size as well. The brightness, colour reproduction, sharpness and general pleasantness of using the Apple/LG 5K displays is all there. I've never been bothered by refresh rate and hardly notice the difference between 120hz and 60hz if I'm honest.

However; If you're thinking you'll run a Studio Display in portrait orientation you will be disappointed. Only the ProDisplay XDR supports orientation changes. Now if you attach it to a VESA mount you could maybe spin that but unlike the ProDisplay the Studio Display has no mechanism for detecting rotation and adjusting in software and might not even allow the display orientation to be in portrait mode.
thank you so much for the information. I’ll visit an Apple Store to see one in action before ordering, based on the second paragraph. Thank you again for the informatio.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008

Are we sure on that rotation function yet? It’s has an A13 which has the accelerometer and gyro in it (pretty sure it’s onboard, could be wrong). It’ll be interesting to see what happens when people get them in their hands.

The way Apple animated the portrait mode in the event makes me think it may do it but it not considered something worth mentioning ?‍♂️

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Are we sure on that rotation function yet? It’s has an A13 which has the accelerometer and gyro in it (pretty sure it’s onboard, could be wrong). It’ll be interesting to see what happens when people get them in their hands.

The way Apple animated the portrait mode in the event makes me think it may do it but it not considered something worth mentioning ?‍♂️
Saw a report saying it somewhere and the stand doesn’t support it at least. But I of course haven’t had the studio display specifically in person.

JahBoolean

Suspended
Jul 14, 2021
The Vesa version supports automatic mode switching. I have no source to link, simply the faint memory of a 17 second video posted on this very forum.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.