Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pointofgravity

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2021
Hi.

I have a 96W Apple USB-C Power Adapter that is making an intermittent buzzing noise at 6kHz every 2 seconds when charging my Macbook Pro with it. I have already gone through the replacement process (the agent would not hear a recording of the buzzing I took) but the replacement charger still makes this noise.

I have recorded the noise and isolated it, which can be found here. For those that don't want to/can't listen to audio, you can see the file put through a spectrum analyser like Academo.org here. As you can see/hear, it is an intermittent noise at 6kHz. This happens when I am charging the Macbook, but seems to stop when the macbook's charge has reached 100%, indicating it is something to do with the power conversion.

I am really puzzled with this, and I want to get it resolved as I use my macbook for some bedroom guitar recording, and with the noise active, my guitar pickups pick this noise up and I end up having to kill 6Khz in my recordings, which is not ideal.

Can anyone tell me what this is?

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
Hi.

I have a 96W Apple USB-C Power Adapter that is making an intermittent buzzing noise at 6kHz every 2 seconds when charging my Macbook Pro with it. I have already gone through the replacement process (the agent would not hear a recording of the buzzing I took) but the replacement charger still makes this noise.

I have recorded the noise and isolated it, which can be found here. For those that don't want to/can't listen to audio, you can see the file put through a spectrum analyser like Academo.org here. As you can see/hear, it is an intermittent noise at 6kHz. This happens when I am charging the Macbook, but seems to stop when the macbook's charge has reached 100%, indicating it is something to do with the power conversion.

I am really puzzled with this, and I want to get it resolved as I use my macbook for some bedroom guitar recording, and with the noise active, my guitar pickups pick this noise up and I end up having to kill 6Khz in my recordings, which is not ideal.

Can anyone tell me what this is?
have you tried different circuit in your house?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Aside from the noise...
- Does the charger work ok? Charge the MBP properly?
- Does the MBP run ok? Do everything that it's supposed to do?

pointofgravity

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2021
Aside from the noise...
- Does the charger work ok? Charge the MBP properly?
- Does the MBP run ok? Do everything that it's supposed to do?
Hello, yes, the Macbook Pro runs and functions normally. It holds a decent charge and haven't noticed it running out of charge quickly. I didn't have a chance to test a different circuit yesterday, so I will try and do that later today.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.