Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
They could unionize anyway.

Oh I know, but the motivation would be low.

Even though I am a pro-union person, if I was paid similarly with same benefits, etc as an union shop and trust management to not be vindictive, not sure if I would be for joining a union.

If I’m treated right, there is not much incentive for a union.

Last edited:
Reactions: vipergts2207

hop

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
It’s not JUST about being able to afford it, though. If Apple were a private company (like that company that famously decided to pay all their employees $70,000 a year*), they could pay whomever whatever they wanted. As a publicly traded company there are restrictions on what they’re able to do in this area.

*Granted, Gravity Payments only has somewhere between 100-200 employees.
Please show us what particular restrictions (laws?) prohibit Apple from improving pay and conditions for their retail employees. Especially considering they’ve already done it somewhat.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
Oh I know, but the motivation would be low.
I think that’s what happened in Georgia. Seeing as how these are individual stores unionizing rather than the entire company, if there’s only 40 people on payroll and 11 are fine with how things are and 11 are ambivalent, then “intimidation” isn’t needed.

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
I don’t believe any company has simply given their retail employees a total of $4,550,000,000 in increases in a fiscal year. Raises, yes. Raises for retail employees that amount to an increase in operating costs of around 4 and a half billion dollars? No.
That’s just the long way of saying, no the SEC has not done that. And considering that there are no examples of companies being investigated for giving their employees fair wages, it’s also pretty far-fetched to believe the SEC would punish Apple for such a thing. Again, this seems like such a nonsensical thing to worry about. It’s not as if Apple is defrauding shareholders in such a case. Apple can very truthfully justify such a move by explaining that in order to retain the best talent and get the most out of their workforce, that offering fair and decent wages is the best way to do that.

Reactions: nebojsak

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
Please show us what particular restrictions (laws?) prohibit Apple from improving pay and conditions for their retail employees. Especially considering they’ve already done it somewhat.
No laws, but a private company can decide, just because they want to, to spend $4.5 billion dollars to increase wages. As a private company, there’s no restrictions, no impediments external to the company to prevent it.

This is not true for public companies.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
That’s just the long way of saying, no the SEC has not done that.
No, it’s a very specific way of saying “Apple cannot do what Gravity Payments did as easily as Gravity Payments did it”.
Again, this seems like such a nonsensical thing to worry about.
And yet, public companies worry about LOTS of things that private companies don’t have to worry about. Many of them likely seem nonsensical to those not in a position to NEED to worry about them. :)
Apple can very truthfully justify such a move by explaining that in order to retain the best talent and get the most out of their workforce, that offering fair and decent wages is the best way to do that.
BUT, Apple would have to justify it! :) That’s the point and it’s not a controversial statement. A private company would need no justification.

And, it’s this need to justify it that restricts/constrains/impedes their ability to just DO it.

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
No, it’s a very specific way of saying “Apple cannot do what Gravity Payments did as easily as Gravity Payments did it”.

And yet, public companies worry about LOTS of things that private companies don’t have to worry about. Many of them likely seem nonsensical to those not in a position to NEED to worry about them. :)

BUT, Apple would have to justify it! :) That’s the point and it’s not a controversial statement. A private company would need no justification.

And, it’s this need to justify it that restricts/constrains/impedes their ability to just DO it.
First of all, I don’t believe they would have to officially justify it. However, if they did end up having to justify it, they could do so in a statement of a paragraph or less. You’re manufacturing an issue from near whole cloth.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
First of all, I don’t believe they would have to officially justify it. However, if they did end up having to justify it, they could do so in a statement of a paragraph or less. You’re manufacturing an issue from near whole cloth.
It’s your opinion that public companies have the same permissions as private companies. I disagree.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
It’s your opinion that public companies have the same permissions as private companies. I disagree.

What public companies can do vs private is not a matter of opinion.....

Laws dictate that.

What is opinion is whether a public company actions is something their shareholders would approve of. A public company can raise their employees salaries. There is no restrictions. They would have to explain to the shareholders how that increases the value of their investment.

Whether they approve or disapprove is opinion.

Reactions: nebojsak and hop

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
That’s not what I said. You’re acting like there would be some grand inquisition if Apple raised wages. Where’s this investigation for the minimum 10% increase in wages for retail workers they’re already implementing? That’s got to be costing Apple at least $200 million per year on just pay alone, without even accounting for the other benefits they’re implementing as well. What’s the amount that supposedly causes the SEC to get involved on stopping a company from increasing wages?

Reactions: nebojsak and hop

Vjosullivan

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2013
this policy is no longer working. the economy of the european union is at stake. states cannot afford all the benefits, so they go into debt. they pretend to be wealth, but it's on credit.
Employee benefits are not paid for by the state.

hop

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
No laws, but a private company can decide, just because they want to, to spend $4.5 billion dollars to increase wages. As a private company, there’s no restrictions, no impediments external to the company to prevent it.

This is not true for public companies.
While I must have missed where $4.5bn came from, you explicitly said there are "restrictions on what they're able to do in this area". Restrictions generally mean laws/regulations. Apple is restricted from murdering it's retail employees if they want to unionise. It is not restricted when it comes to choosing to pay them more, as evidenced by how they have already done this and nobody has stopped them or announced something bad is now going to happen in response. Also, private companies have various ownership structures, often with investors, and if you think their actions are never influenced by what they think, you're very wrong.

So, what you actually mean isn't "restrictions" or "permissions", but that publicly traded companies can face pressure from shareholders and the market in response to their actions, which is:
  1. A completely different thing.
  2. Something where you've provided nothing to suggest that shareholders oppose the company doing so, and/or are going to try to do anything about it. As before, I'm one myself, and I'm strongly in favour of them doing so.

britboyj

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2009
As someone who worked at Apple Retail during its "glory years" under Ron Johnson before Ahrendts gutted everything good about it I have a couple of thoughts:

1. Bring back defined roles and differentiated shirts. Most people KNEW that the orange shirt couldn't help you fix a computer, but they could point you in the right direction.
  2. Bring back 1-to-1, but probably with a per-lesson cost as well as the membership. A huge reason people felt comfortable moving to Apple was this level of education. It also offered a solid promotional route for people who were passionately creative, but not Geniuses. Not everyone wants to repair iPhones.
  3. Fire a lot of the managers. Every time I go in now it seems like there are more managers standing around managing... nothing... than employees helping customers.
All of the above will keep employees less stressed and less stressed means happier employees.

But... on the other hand... While things have gone downhill at Apple retail of late (I still know several), it is still MILES ahead of other retail employees in terms of pay and benefits. Many Apple retail employees have never experienced working at Target or Best Buy, and comparative education would focus their efforts at improvements significantly to things that matter.

God of Biscuits

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2007
Unions are like leeches. They suck the employees and companies dry. I wish these employees succeeded so they could see that firsthand. But it’s easy to be seduced by the promise of safety instead of going out into the unknown and taking a chance on yourself.

You're thinking of large corporations that treat employees like they're lucky to work there, while the corp makes money off of them and gives them none of the profit sharing. Unless you're an exec or management, of course.

Reactions: hop

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
You're thinking of large corporations that treat employees like they're lucky to work there, while the corp makes money off of them and gives them none of the profit sharing. Unless you're an exec or management, of course.
Why as a employee would one put up with that.
- find a job with a company that values you
- find a job with a company that lets you invest into the profit sharing

Also, which companies specifically are you referring to.

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
I didn’t know a pension was a basic human right. The right to life, liberty & happiness is a basic human right, not 4 weeks PTO.

You really think you know what all workers need? Even those part-timers who are there for a few years who’d be negatively impacted by unions? Or the full-timers who’d rather keep all their money and seek work elsewhere than to give up a portion of their wages? Why do you think attempts to unionize fail at so many places? Because most employees reject it once they learn more about it.

Let’s say we think with our hearts and less with our brains and give everyone at least $30/hr, 4 weeks PTO, and a pension. What do you think that will do to the economy? How will that affect these employees when they have to spend $80 for a pizza pie and $1,000/week on groceries? Let the free market do its thing. It’s smarter than you, me, and definitely the gov’t, as Bidenflation has shown.

Unions were directly responsible for a lot of the gains labor made in the 20th century. A livable wage, health benefits, retirement benefits, reasonable hours worked. It helped pave the way to middle class for most of American in the 20th century.

And then in the late 70s there was a very effective campaign to demonize unionization. The PATCO strike was the tipping point. Since 1980 real wages have stagnated. Retirements benefits were phased out from being an employer benefit to an employee paid. (The joke being that employees were expected to fund this it with those stagnant wages). Right to work laws were quickly enacted.

Throughout this period employee productivity has continued to grow. The economy has expanded. And the top 1% have gotten wealthy. But that success is no longer shared with employees. I'm old enough to remember when 'profit sharing' was a real thing. Or employees feeling like they financially benefitted from the company doing well.

Are unions universally great? No, the human character defects that tend to corrupt anybody with power in an organization occurs in unions. But most American works have greatly benefitted when there is a check/balance to the power of business in a capitalist sociiety.

bag99001

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2015
As someone who worked at Apple Retail during its "glory years" under Ron Johnson before Ahrendts gutted everything good about it I have a couple of thoughts:

1. Bring back defined roles and differentiated shirts. Most people KNEW that the orange shirt couldn't help you fix a computer, but they could point you in the right direction.
  2. Bring back 1-to-1, but probably with a per-lesson cost as well as the membership. A huge reason people felt comfortable moving to Apple was this level of education. It also offered a solid promotional route for people who were passionately creative, but not Geniuses. Not everyone wants to repair iPhones.
  3. Fire a lot of the managers. Every time I go in now it seems like there are more managers standing around managing... nothing... than employees helping customers.
All of the above will keep employees less stressed and less stressed means happier employees.

But... on the other hand... While things have gone downhill at Apple retail of late (I still know several), it is still MILES ahead of other retail employees in terms of pay and benefits. Many Apple retail employees have never experienced working at Target or Best Buy, and comparative education would focus their efforts at improvements significantly to things that matter.
I just want to reinforce almost everything you said. I worked at Apple retail when the iPhone came out. It was actually a really positive experience and a well-organized company to work for. That being said, I didn't need the job financially at the time as I had full-time work also..was mostly just for the chance to have done it. Because of that, I didn't care as much that my pay wasn't spectacular.

The clarity on roles was super helpful.

The 1-1 lessons were well received and positive but not super frequent I think. Wondering if my memory serves but I think they were pretty new and maybe not super publicized at the time.

I had pretty positive experiences with the managers. That might have changed since I was there or I didn't work there long enough to really have any concerns.

That all being said - the economics of the company suggest to me that Apple could afford to invest in retaining their staff through higher pay, and it share some of the company's success. This would feed into more satisfied employees who are more experienced, and thus a better customer experience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.