Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Costino1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 1, 2012
Did I miss something on the last keynote about there being a silent release for AirPods 2?

I purchased AirPods and literally received them 5 seconds ago. I plopped them on my Qi charging pad and do not see a light lit up or anything while charging. I also do not see a LED dot on the case at all.

Did Verizon send me the "old" AirPods or is there no such thing as "new" AirPods and I'm totally wrong about this...lol

Nevertheless....cool gadget. Case is MUCH smaller than I expected. Love the quality and how the earbuds magnetically 'click' and slide into the case like magic.

Thanks for the help!

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Did I miss something on the last keynote about there being a silent release for AirPods 2?

I purchased AirPods and literally received them 5 seconds ago. I plopped them on my Qi charging pad and do not see a light lit up or anything while charging. I also do not see a LED dot on the case at all.

Did Verizon send me the "old" AirPods or is there no such thing as "new" AirPods and I'm totally wrong about this...lol

Nevertheless....cool gadget. Case is MUCH smaller than I expected. Love the quality and how the earbuds magnetically 'click' and slide into the case like magic.

Thanks for the help!

Apple still sells the regular AirPods that were released a year ago in December. What you're thinking of, is Apple is releasing a new AirPod battery charging case that will be QI compatible for wireless charging. However, the updated charging battery case is not available yet, which will likely launch early 2018. The Current charging case for the AirPods is not QI compatible.

Costino1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 1, 2012
Apple still sells the regular AirPods that were released a year ago in December. What you're thinking of, is Apple is releasing a new AirPod battery charging case that will be QI compatible for wireless charging. However, the updated charging battery case is not available yet, which will likely launch early 2018. The Current charging case for the AirPods is not QI compatible.

Thanks. Totally answered my question. I have no issue plugging this into a cord. No need to pay extra for a wireless case IMO. I thought Apple released silently a wireless AirPod 2 model. I was wrong.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.