Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pendrek

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2021
Hello
I saw that Amazon has a sale on standard AirPods with wireless charging cases. Now I am wondering should I buy these or if it's worth spending more money on the Pros? Or, is there a better alternative to Airpods by different manufacture (I use an iPhone).
Have you all tried both the standard Airpods versus the Airpods Pros? What are the main differences? I researched myself and saw here https://productz.com/en/apple-airpods-vs-apple-airpods-pro/v/ZNa2-wZdxw the only difference is in dimensions and battery life.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Pro's are very different than regular Airpods...
Pros:
ED5F02A3-627C-4B26-B286-5F8BBC9215D4.png
Airpod2:
87C049BA-B160-4E26-BD63-2EC77889DF15.jpeg

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Active noise cancellation and a better fit for my ears make Air Pods Pro a better choice for me, by far. YMMV.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
ANC would be nice if you flew on a prop-liner or were trying to block out the noises of kids somewhere. But I never needed it. I prefer to hear a bicyclist coming up behind me so I know to move out of the way (they hardly ever move around you, you have to look out for them!) and on nature hikes I enjoy the sounds of nature. If I ever need to isolate anything I just turn the volume up.

Also, before anyone claims 'just use transparency!' have you ever noticed in that mode that there's this annoying buzzing sound like insects or something (sounds like a cacophony of cicadas) when you're on a bike riding into the wind?

I once tested full-ANC on AirPods Pro in the parking lot of Kroger. It instantly felt like I was in the vacuum of space--I couldn't hear a blasted thing (wasn't playing any music at the time) it really creeped me out. I've used either nothing or transparency since.

Mt44

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2014
Pros are the far better product IMO.

BUT: I had to get the Comply tips to make them usable. They just fell out with the Apple tips.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Pros are the far better product IMO.

BUT: I had to get the Comply tips to make them usable. They just fell out with the Apple tips.
Interesting, mine are hard to pull out using the medium tips and have an excellent seal. It almost turns the tips inside out when I remove them.. I might try the smaller tips to see if there is a good seal as I don't want to have the tip come off in my ear or drop on the ground

Matz

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2015
Rural Southern Virginia
Having never tried (or been interested in) AP of any type, I finally decided to give APP a try. I ordered a set on a Black Friday deal from Costco. I got them and put them on. They paired flawlessly, but didn't feel all that comfortable. Within a couple of hours of opening the box, I figured I'd probably send them back. However, since there is a long return period, I spent the next couple of days using them and exploring various audio settings, plus switching between all of the tips; and I'm liking them more. Most surprising to me is that based on the Ear Tip Fit Test, I use a Large tip.

My impressions thus far:

They're now more comfortable than they seemed to be at first, due to a combination of using the right size tip and not trying to shove them deep into my ears. They just sort of rest in place.

Noise cancellation works surprisingly well. Not as well as my Bose NC headphones, but much better than I would expect from earbuds. I find that transparency mode works pretty well, too, and addresses my concern about not being able to hear what's going on around me.

I am pleased at how securely these fit in my ear. There is no sign of their wanting to fall out, even when I try to make them fall out.

But, out of curiosity (and since they were also on sale), I ordered a set of the new AP to make a real comparison. They haven't arrived yet, but I'll post an update with my impressions once I've given them a try.

Last edited:
Reactions: helloapple1

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
Pros work well for me anway since every other earbud type I've used has been in-ear. LG Tone Pro, Samsung Gear Circle, etc. I guess I'm sorta used to them.

Matz

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2015
Rural Southern Virginia
The AP3s showed up yesterday. I've been switching back and forth between the AP3 and APP, and was surprised to find that for listening to music, I find the AP3 sound subtly but noticeably more appealing to me than the APP. The sound is more "full," for lack of a better term. A touch more bass, and less emphasis on midrange. This seems counterintuitive; with the seal created by the tips on the APP, I would think they would have more bass.

The AP3 are certainly simpler in design, without the tips and choices of transparency and noise cancellation. That is appealing. At least the idea of it is appealing.

When listening to music or a video in a noisy office environment, or outside, noise cancellation on the APP helps me to not be distracted without having to turn the volume up.

I also am finding that transparency makes it noticeably easier to hear outside noises with the APP than with the AP3. It took me awhile to figure out that background sounds can actually be amplified. This is found in the Control Center, under the Hearing setting. I have it set to 50%, which allows me to listen to music and not feel that I'm cut off from the outside world when I don't want to be.

The slightly better (to me) sound quality of the AP3 is keeping me from sending them back. I plan to spend a few more days comparing, in the situations that I would normally use them, before deciding which pair to go with. I would have expected the differences between the two to make the choice a bit more clear cut, but taking everything into account, it seems more nuanced.

More to follow in a few days.

EastHillWill

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2020
Boise, ID
Having never tried (or been interested in) AP of any type, I finally decided to give APP a try. I ordered a set on a Black Friday deal from Costco. I got them and put them on. They paired flawlessly, but didn't feel all that comfortable. Within a couple of hours of opening the box, I figured I'd probably send them back. However, since there is a long return period, I spent the next couple of days using them and exploring various audio settings, plus switching between all of the tips; and I'm liking them more. Most surprising to me is that based on the Ear Tip Fit Test, I use a Large tip.

My impressions thus far:

They're now more comfortable than they seemed to be at first, due to a combination of using the right size tip and not trying to shove them deep into my ears. They just sort of rest in place.

Noise cancellation works surprisingly well. Not as well as my Bose NC headphones, but much better than I would expect from earbuds. I find that transparency mode works pretty well, too, and addresses my concern about not being able to hear what's going on around me.

I am pleased at how securely these fit in my ear. There is no sign of their wanting to fall out, even when I try to make them fall out.

But, out of curiosity (and since they were also on sale), I ordered a set of the new AP to make a real comparison. They haven't arrived yet, but I'll post an update with my impressions once I've given them a try.
Foam tips notably improved the NC on my AirPods Pro. Something to consider if that ends up being an area you're not satisfied with. Putting them in does take a few extra seconds to roll/compress the foam, but for me it's worth it.

Matz

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2015
Rural Southern Virginia
How do you find the fit of AP3, compared to APP? @Matz
They both fit my ears, but in different ways. At first I found the fit of the APP somewhat uncomfortable, but after changing the tips and wearing them for a few hours I got used to them. And particularly when I stopped trying to shove them deeper into my ear canals. They just sort of rest in place and sound fine.

The AP3 also rest in place, but with less of a feeling of ear contact than with the APP, if that makes sense.

Which makes the difference in sound quality that much more unexpected.

Matz

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2015
Rural Southern Virginia
Then explain what you meant by ^^^
What I was trying to say was that the assumption that transparency isn't adjustable is apparently not so. Sorry, I could have stated it more clearly.

Transparency Mode in the Hearing setting of the Control Center allows an increases in volume of background noises. I set mine to 50% amplification. As a result, when I'm walking through dry leaves, for example, the leaves sound louder. Birds, traffic, etc. are all amplified. I can still listen to music while being more aware of my surroundings. I actually think this is a great feature, and haven't heard it (sorry) mentioned in but a couple of articles.

I am curious about using the APP in windy conditions. I don't know if wind would render amplified (or even normal) transparency useless or not. It occurs to me that a good test would be to wear them while riding my mountain bike around the farm, where there's no traffic to worry about. I need to get back on the bike anyway, and this would be a good excuse.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
Well, that's a TIL that I feel like an idiot since I've been using my APP with my 6S for ages and just accepting that annoying 'cicada noise' when biking head-on into high winds in Spring. If I knew I could adjust the transparancy mode I'd had done it by now! I don't use ANC since one time I triggered it in a Kroger parking lot without music playing and it was dead silence-quite unnerving space vacuum. I can't even imagine that being useful unless you take most of your trips by Piper Apache or something!

Matz

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2015
Rural Southern Virginia
A few days later...

As mentioned previously, the sound quality of the AP3 is definitely better than the APP. I continue to be impressed with the sound of these earbuds.

Noise cancellation of the APP is better than I had first thought. I made some calls, outside on a windy day, and the APP did an excellent job of blocking out the wind noise. Unfortunately I failed to try the AP3 in the same conditions. Next windy day, I'll do that.

Comfort-wise, the AP3 are less obtrusive than the APP. I don't notice them as much. As I said earlier, I didn't push the APP far into my ears, because that made them uncomfortable. Lately, however, I've taken to pressing them in, just a bit, as doing so does seem to improve the sound. Not to the point of being as good as the AP3, though. But the result is that I notice the tips, whereas when they were just resting in my ears, I didn't notice the tips. I'm not yet to the point of saying it's uncomfortable, but I'm going to see how it goes. It could become a problem.

The APP fit more securely; at least they're less prone to fall out than the AP3.

I'm still not sure which pair I prefer overall, or even that I'll keep either pair. I don't see myself wearing them for long periods, and have to wonder if their occasional use is worth the price of admission. At this point I don't know.

That's it for now.

Reactions: chrizzz09

tgd85

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2013
It's been widely discussed on this forum and elsewhere, but AirPod Pros are absolutely useless if your intended use includes telephone calls, whether in the car, on conference calls, or elsewhere.

There is a critical design flaw related to how the microphones pick up and amplify ambient sounds during telephone conversations. On the other end of the line, it literally sounds like you are walking along an interstate highway. The same effect occurs if there is wind or any type of background noise, even at minimal levels.

I don't mean this to be an exaggeration. Users have long-complained about issue, hoping that it would eventually get resolved through a firmware update. Two years later, the issue remains, and at this point, I've given up waiting for a solution. I've also seen several posts stating that the new AirPod 3s also suffer from the same defect. I can't confirm, but if it's anything like APPs, avoid at all costs.

If your primary use will be for listening-only, APPs are fine at the current reduced price points. However, if you plan to use them for telephone calls, especially work calls or conference calls, I highly suggest you consider the older Airpod 2s that utilized the longer stem design. I expected similar quality when I purchased my APPs two years ago, but could not be more disappointed with the voice / microphone functionality on telephone calls.

Reactions: macintoshmac

Matz

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2015
Rural Southern Virginia
After a couple of weeks comparing the APP with the AP3, I've decided to go with the APP. I was on the verge of returning both pairs, but I am finding the APP useful enough to keep, for a few reasons:
  1. Making and receiving phone calls. I had been using my Bose QC headphones for phone calls, at my desk or around the house, and had more than a few times when the bluetooth connection just stopped working, which is inconvenient in the middle of a call. The AP3 and the APP just work. The APP have the advantage of noise cancellation, which I find useful. The conversations I've had with the APP have been clear, on both ends. And so far they haven't disconnected. They're also more convenient to use than my headphones.
  2. Listening to music. Although the sound quality of the AP3 definitely is better than the APP, the latter are good enough. Having the right tip size and pressing them lightly into my ear canal does improve the sound of the APP, without making them uncomfortable. I really like being able to switch between noise cancellation and transparency modes while listening. Being able to increase the volume of background sounds in transparency while listening to music on the APP pretty well overcomes the isolation I experience with the AP3. I don't want to be unaware of my surroundings except in limited circumstances, and the APP perform well in this regard.
  3. Secure fit. The APP are more secure, in my ears, than the AP3. While I've had a bud fall out with both pairs, it happens significantly less often with the APP.
I realize that the APP are ripe for an update, but not knowing when that will occur, plus a decently discounted price ($160 USD), make this a reasonable purchase now, at least for me. YMMV

Reactions: chrizzz09

yurkennis

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2010
Transparency Mode in the Hearing setting of the Control Center allows an increases in volume of background noises. I set mine to 50% amplification.
Just curious: could you share screenshots demonstrating how volume of background noises can be adjusted for AirPods Pro?

I tried iOS 15.2 (iPhone X), MacOS Monterey 12.1 (MBP2021 16" Max), with no success: I can only switch between NC / Transparency / Off; adjust regular output volume--but not volume of background noises.

Last edited:

PFox78

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2013
To customize Transparency mode settings:

1. Check that you have the latest version of iOS or iPadOS.
  2. Put your AirPods Pro in your ears and connect them to your iPhone or iPad.
  3. Go to Settings > Accessibility > Audio/Visual > Headphone Accommodations > Transparency Mode.
  4. Tap Custom Transparency Mode and turn it on.

Reactions: Matz and yurkennis
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.