Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iindigo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 22, 2002
San Francisco, CA
I was looking into buying one of the new Apple keyboards, but first I wanted to know if WoW messes up the special keys (rewind, play/pause, fast forward) like it does with Exposé keys, and if it works when WoW is the frontmost. I'm guessing it doesn't mess up the key settings and works fine, since they use the same mechanics as the Apple Remote (which works fine in WoW).

Even if it did mess up the settings, I suppose I could set the keybindings in WoW, but it'd be nice if they'd just work out of the box...

Rydther

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2007
San Jose, CA
the play/pause and forward reverse buttons work fine when WoW is windowed or full screen for me.

didn't notice it messing up my WoW key bindings yet tho. haven't tested that much

IBitePrettyHard

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2007
The keyboard is very nice, but while playing wow, I've had a little difficulty controlling my character with the A,W,S,D keys while tab-targetting multiple enemies. The keys are pretty flat, so it's easy to wander off course and hit the wrong keys. Maybe it's because I was playing WOW on a Dell laptop before I got this new iMac. Not sure.

iindigo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 22, 2002
San Francisco, CA
The keyboard is very nice, but while playing wow, I've had a little difficulty controlling my character with the A,W,S,D keys while tab-targetting multiple enemies. The keys are pretty flat, so it's easy to wander off course and hit the wrong keys. Maybe it's because I was playing WOW on a Dell laptop before I got this new iMac. Not sure.

Well, I bought the keyboard a little while after I posted this, and I'm not really having that problem. I do almost all character control with my mouse and leave spellcasting/abilities to the keyboard, though, so my opinion may be a little biased.

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
the play/pause and forward reverse buttons work fine when WoW is windowed or full screen for me.

didn't notice it messing up my WoW key bindings yet tho. haven't tested that much

And you can also via system preferences set the function keys to work as actual function keys rather than the unique keys.

Both have worked fine for me out the box.

Stevez0r

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2006
New York City
I was thinking of getting a new iMac the higher end 20 inch model. How would this handle World of Warcraft? Is the graphic card decent? I've been playing WoW on my Mac Mini for a while and I think its time I upgrade...

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
I was thinking of getting a new iMac the higher end 20 inch model. How would this handle World of Warcraft? Is the graphic card decent? I've been playing WoW on my Mac Mini for a while and I think its time I upgrade...

Visit the Apple website before you do.

Check the Support->Discussions->iMac->Intel-Based iMac.

There's a lot of people having issues with the display of the 20" iMacs.

But 24"/20" handles wow about the same. There's some graphics glitches.

Bottom line, research up and do some reading.

iindigo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 22, 2002
San Francisco, CA

It should handle WoW like a champ. I play WoW on my iMac G5 2Ghz (which is single core, btw) with 2GB memory and ATi Radeon 9600 128MB graphics card, and I play with most settings turned to 90% or so and get between 15-30FPS in most areas. Here's a screenshot of my settings:

wowsett.png

So someone with one of the newer high-end iMacs should be able to max out their settings and still get a great framerate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.