Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blur35mm

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 18, 2007
With the flurry of releases and news of Leopard delays, I was wondering if anyone out there is as out of synch with Apple as I am??????

Let me explain:

Five years ago, I bought a dual 1ghz G4, loaded to the hilt with the newest OS X. I got a Canon XL1S, all kinds of cool gadgets, and maxed out the machine as best I could. Final Cut Pro, Lightwave, Adobe Products...you name it, I bought it.

Along the way, I have upgraded my software with every other release and been pleased that my G4 is still humming along. But, it is beginning to show signs of age trying to push the new apps to the limits.

In 2006, I began looking for the latest Mac Pro. Only problem was, that due to my experience buying the bleeding edge with my original G4 and it lasting 5 years, I was convinced the right thing to do was buy the best once again.

8 core rumors started flying, so I waited patiently for about 6 months. It was a no brainer. Voila, 8 cores released. Now, I only needed to wait until around June until Leopard was released!

Awesome...wait, here is more news...Adobe CS3 Released! YES! About time...

But wait a minute...BOOM! Leopard delayed until October. Makes sense, work out the kinks...no problems with that.

OK OK, that is fine. But yesterday, BAM! Final Cut Studio 2 is released. Drooooooooooool.....but my G4 is not even listed in the tech specs, and I certainly don't have an extra 100 gigs to load the entire thing on my core drives. (5 years ago 80GB drives were top of the line!)

So now, I am punch drunk, drooling with excitement, and at the same time disappointed that I have to wait until October. Once Leopard comes out, will all the other apps be compatible? I am not certain of that...I am hopeful...but will I have to upgrade again?

I know people tell you never to wait for technology, and I am a believer in that...but if Leopard has kinks to work out, and I won't realize the benefits of Final Cut Studio 2 or even CS3 or an Intel native Lightwave 9 (coming soon), then there is really no point in buying my dreamy 8 core mac at this time.

By the time October is here, they will probably have > 3.0 ghz.

Is anyone else as out of synch as I am? Am I nuts to be waiting for a fresh clean machine? I would hate to setup my new Mac, then have to wipe it all out for a fresh install again in October.

So I wait...patiently...saving my pennies.

Cheers-
Blur
http://www.googleadmin.com

Jasonbot

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2006
The Rainbow Nation RSA
Well personally I think everything you "need" minus Leopard are there for teh taking. Just go for the purchase, in all honesty the only thing you'll need to upgrade is your copy of OS X when it is eventually released. I doubt the processors will change much.

Shotglass

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
I need to get a MBP and CS3 in the middle of the year, so yes, I'm out of sync as well. But I doubt my problem is as big as yours.

BTW, what do you do for a living?

Max Payne

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2006
Brisbane, Australia
From what I understand, you've got no money problem. If you have the money to 8-core Mac Pro, Final Cut and CS3, then $129 is nothing. You can always upgrade to leopard when the time is right.

blur35mm

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 18, 2007
Looks like the http://barefeats.com/octopro2.html review shows about 45% increase for some of the apps. Disappointed to see that CS3 shows very little improvement.

To their point, I am confident Leopard will address the issues. Again, if there are memory pipe problems, hopefully they'll be fixed by the time I decide to buy a new machine?

Again, if it is not worth it until Leopard to address multi processor threading, as well as the apps themselves, surely by october they'll have some of the memory issues resolved.

Then the question is, will CS3 get updated? Lightwave?

Boooo....

For ShotGlass, I work at Discovery by day, and am an indie web developer/artist by night!

:)

Cheers-
Blur
http://www.googleadmin.com

Luigi239

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2007
I really wouldnt wait for leopard...

You seem to be using alot of apps that you would not want to be broken, so if I were you, I would buy the Mac pro now, and then when leopard comes out, check the compatibility of your apps and make sure they work flawlessly before taking the plunge.

Silentwave

macrumors 68000
May 26, 2006
if I were you i'd stay happy with my current rig for a few more months, since the existing 8-core Mac Pro has those memory bottlenecks that might kill the benefits for someone with application usage like yours (and mine).

After the next update (which will probably be closer if not concurrent with Leopard) you should upgrade IMHO and get your new software. By then, each of those applications (and Leopard) will be getting updated to be even more stable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.