Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neildmitchell

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 21, 2005
What if Apple and Pantone made printers together

Maybe Apple will get back into making printers, but this time with the partnership of Pantone. Confused?​
Ok, Epson has a new 5760x1440 DPI 8 color printer
CMYK plus light version of each of CMYK

What if Apple and Pantone partnered and made a highend 11 color ink jet printer ....
So CMYK plus light version of each of CMYK and three spot colors.
Each inktank would come with its own removable/swapable print head that fits into the ink tank carriage ( what carries the ink inside the printer )
There would also be a configurable ink menu in the printer setup in the system controls so that you can tell the printer wich slot holds what ink, or when ink placed into the printer, it tells the printer what color it is with no user action and configuration.​

and maybe some lower end models too that run CMYK plus 2 spot

Apple would be ushering in a "new" printer aimed at a more design savvy group, creating a new niche printer market. Every small business loves to save money if they can do it inhouse vs. outsourcing.

I think that would be awesome!

Designers everywhere would be running out and buying those like nobodies business!

Even the home users like crafters, kids etc would want one.
Little jimmy can now print that day-glo green he loves!

What do you think? Apple Pantone making sweet sweet printers too far fetched?

rugonnaeatthat

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
eh?!

Printing presses and digital print houses all output CMYK - therefore designers buy CMYK printers to give them the best preview for themselves and their customers.

The growth in more than 4 colour ink printers comes from the explosion in digital photography, not design.

Anyways there are plenty of printer manufacturers that produce great printers for Apple - if it aint broke - don't fix it!

neildmitchell

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 21, 2005
True, 8 color printers are for digital photograpy, but designers also incorporate photography into their work.

An inkjet with swapable pantone colors would be a benifit to small business that want a professional small print run, a benifit to designers who are tight on cash that need to make a self promo (or something )that is professional and looks like they have dropped some serious dough on a print run.........

Yes, there are many great printer makers out there, who are making cash over fist. Making HUGE profits from selling replacement ink tanks.
If Apple was to get back into making printers with a partnership with Pantone, they would make money from contracts with other companies like epson for the right to use the technology, and from printer sales and replacement injet tank sales.

This is just a brain fart that I had had, and sounded like a possible great stratigic money making opportunity for a compamy like Apple who is starting to get rather competitive in the marketplace especially now with products like Final Cut Studio ( Competing with Adobe Video bundle ) iPod ( MP3 market ) Keynote & Pages ( Competing with Microsoft Power Point and Word ) .............

MontyZ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2005
I think this would be a great idea. Only problem is that if Apple made it, it would probably cost 2X more than anything else out there. This would be a good idea for a company like HP or Epson + Pantone, though.

neildmitchell

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 21, 2005
puckhead193 said:
i miss my style writer printer....
I was at a mac store last year, they had a refurb. Style Writer and replacement toner for it. Got nostolgic for a sec, then laughed in disbelief :)

neildmitchell

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 21, 2005
MontyZ said:
I think this would be a great idea. Only problem is that if Apple made it, it would probably cost 2X more than anything else out there. This would be a good idea for a company like HP or Epson + Pantone, though.
HP or Epson will pursue this endevor, but I'd rather see Apple beat them to it. 2x as much, doubt it if they would price it that high if they did pursue it. It would kick them out of the market as fast as they tried to get back into it :)

snkTab

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2004
Cincinnati, OH
I don't see any value that Pantone can bring to making printers that other manufacturers wouldn't have access through licensing

MontyZ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2005
Actually, the idea of Pantone on a printer doesn't make any sense. Usually these types of printers are used to proof CMYK proofs before sending to press. There's really no color-mystery to Pantone like there is with CMYK. So, I don't see the point unless these printers are supposed to be specifically for printing small-run jobs. But even so, you'd have to have SO many Pantone color inks to be able to do this, it would end up costing a small fortune.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.