Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BrightDarkSky

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2021
The 24 inch iMac perfectly encapsulates the level of stupidity that apple is able to reach when they have much better options on products to present.

They went cheaper on the screen to save the money.
They went cheap on the ports.
And cheap on the abilities.
They wanted to make sure that marketing lies no power user would consider this machine, you would have to look at the studios or even a MacBook pro to get better parity for your dollar.

Apple doesn't believe creating Best in class products for the different segments. They believe in creating the most bottom of the barrel for everyone product and then reaming you over a table to be able to get it up to par on what you actually really need.

Modern apple is really trashy.

ger19

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2022
Not if you value quietness. The two fans hardly make any noise.

TL;DR - if you can get either M1 or M3 at a good discount, I think they offer tremendous value.
Two great points. I replaced a fanless windows machine with an M1 and it’s very quiet. I’ve never heard the fans come on. It was a great value because I got my M1 after the M3 was released.

I love how it syncs with my other Apple devices (iPhone and iPad) which is one of the main benefits I was looking for in the switch from a Windows machine. And not to beat a dead horse but, for my needs, the base model (8cpu/8gpu 8 ram 256ssd) is working perfectly. I’m retired, but use it for more than the daily crossword puzzle, though I am admittedly a light duty user. It meets my needs very well - sleek, quiet, powerful enough, great screen and perfect integration with my other devices.

citysnaps

macrumors G5
Oct 10, 2011
The 24" iMac is the perfect computer for a huge segment of Apple's customers (ie people not involved with tech). Updating it every 2-3 years makes a ton of sense.

It's so funny how so many here in tech try to project their needs/wants onto the above Apple majority market (teachers, receptionists, plumbers, real estate agents, students, musicians, artists, police men/women, gardeners, retails sales clerks, dentists, bus drivers, construction workers, librarians, and on and on).

I guess they'll never understand that there's a consumer market world that has nothing to do with tech, and don't need the latest/fastest computer with a giant screen.

femike

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
Very much a flawed product. No way to upgrade or replace the computer part without buying a new product, lack of fan, lack of ports and variety of ports, power delivery is questionable, stand cannot not swivel and is not height adjustable. Its a disposable computer. Its looks pretty and that is all it offers.

Sippincider

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2020
It's so funny how so many here in tech try to project their needs/wants onto the above Apple majority market
Project? We're simply asking for a return of the screen space and memory capacity that we had five years ago.

We also find it astonishing that Apple can walk away from a $10 billion failed project, while a product which people need and could probably be designed in a weekend, is somehow beneath Apple.

antonrg

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2019
Paris
This is the iMac that made me go back to using a laptop as my main machine. I LOVE my 27inch iMac, but it‘s starting to show its age (8 years old now) and, unfortunately, it struggles with video editing I do for work.

Apple clearly doesn‘t want previous gen iMac users to get these machines, but would much rather have us get a studio setup which costs far more if you count everything in. So I switched to a MacBook Pro. Do I miss the awesome 27 inch display? Absolutely! Will I buy this joke of a new iMac? No way! They pretty much crippled the iMac.

b1narych0ice

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2014
Milwaukee, WI
Like many others on this thread, I find the current model a bit lacking -- it suffers from Ive-era "thinness above else" design. Here's my 2 cents on what would make iMacs great again:

-At least make it thick enough to be able to put the headphone and ethernet jacks in the usual spot, and throw in at least 2 USB A ports. A little extra thickness should buy some thermal headroom to have more powerful chips as options, and/or make it quieter or fanless with base M3 chips. Taking a page from the newer MBP design here -- everyone is happy to have more thickness and fewer compromises.
-Bring back Target Display Mode, and/or include an HDMI input port. The iMac could actually be a great accessory if it had the ability to act as a kind of "dock" -- Plug my Keyboard, Mouse, Sound, etc into the iMac, and be able to connect to my MacBook Pro with 1 cable and get all those plus Display/Webcam/Charging, sort of like you would do with the $1500 standalone display. For real magic/bonus points, you could even allow the SOC in the iMac to assist on tasks from the MacBook. Just like bringing MagSafe back to the MBP, people would be delighted to have Target Display Mode back on the iMac.
-Add a 27" model back to the lineup, give it an optional M Pro chip to align with the chips available in the Mac mini. Leave the Max/Ultra chips for the Mac Studio/Pro in the desktop lineup.
-Add a 40" model to the lineup, and include a remote and/or other living room friendly input devices. It could still be used as a giant-screen desktop (lots of folks using LG OLED TVs this size as monitors), or instead be used in a smaller living room area more like a TV.

Reactions: Victor Mortimer

DaveN

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2010
I quite enjoy my M3 iMac. Powerful, nice display, and quiet. I got mine maxed out as I figured I would be using it for many years to come. The iMac it replaced was something like 14 years old.

• Haha
Reactions: Victor Mortimer

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
And then they let it languish for 2.5 years.

They took 4 years to upgrade my 2014 Mac mini. Not holding my breath for my M2 mini. :rolleyes:

It is puzzling why they seem to neglect some models for years, eh? Just imagine if every year they said "all new Macs available TODAY", like we used to have.

Long overdue for replacing manual human assembly lines with automation, and having mini-factories in more locations closer to customers that can crank production up and down dynamically based on consumer demand. The current cross-seas assembly approach is way too slow and costly, while still not paying workers what they are worth.

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
And removed any desire I had to update my old (but still working) 27” iMac. But I’m glad they did, as it ended my “must replace with another Mac” mindset I had.
Ditto. The last Intel models were the pinnacle of iMac design. And the performance is still good enough for my work. These undersized pastel PCs look like something you’d find in the centre isle at Aldi. Nothing about them (aside from the Apple silicon inside) is tempting.

wbeasley

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2007
Or go the "Kuo prediction version" of the headline: "Only 6 More Years Until Apple Update iMac Design"

• Haha
Reactions: madmin

lk400

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2012
I bought this iMac (in blue) to replace my 27” retina iMac (that I purchased back in 2014) My 27” iMac was the first 5K iMac that Apple ever came out with and at the time, it was $2499 - I used my 27” iMac pretty much every day for 7 years

I love using my 24” M1 iMac - the microphone array works phenomenal for phone calls, etc. and the ability to be able to AirPlay content from my iPhone or iPad is a great feature to have as well

I hope that Apple eventually re-introduces the 27” (or larger) iMac 🖥️ (with the M series processor) as many Apple fans would love to have a much bigger screen than 24”
I am still using a 27 inch 2012 iMac and use it every day. Still going strong. If they release a new one, I’ll consider it. But unless it supports target display, I might get a screen and Mac mini / laptop (which is probably their intention for no target display).

citysnaps

macrumors G5
Oct 10, 2011
Project? We're simply asking for a return of the screen space and memory capacity that we had five years ago.

We also find it astonishing that Apple can walk away from a $10 billion failed project, while a product which people need and could probably be designed in a weekend, is somehow beneath Apple.

It really is projection... saying that Apple needs to do this and that (update iMac every year with the latest processor, have larger screens, etc) - from people here who are tech centric, and not Apple's majority market.

Apple knows their markets better than anyone here.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Very much a flawed product. No way to upgrade or replace the computer part without buying a new product, lack of fan, lack of ports and variety of ports, power delivery is questionable, stand cannot not swivel and is not height adjustable. Its a disposable computer. Its looks pretty and that is all it offers.
The original iMac did not have a heigh-adjustable stand either.

I think you overestimate the number of people who actually care about the "drawbacks" that you just listed, and dismiss the people who do legitimately care about having a computer that looks great in addition to working great.

citysnaps

macrumors G5
Oct 10, 2011
Sales declines say otherwise.

What iMac sales declines say is that people who already own an iMac (those who aren't tech-focused like people here, representing the majority of Apple's market) are happy with what they have and see no need to purchase a newer iMac.

People here on MR are tech-focused believing they always need to have the latest and greatest. That's the minority of Apple's market.

Victor Mortimer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2016
And removed any desire I had to update my old (but still working) 27” iMac. But I’m glad they did, as it ended my “must replace with another Mac” mindset I had.

As far as I'm concerned, the 24" is the end of the iMac. I'm finally able to convince users that they're MUCH better off with a Mac mini and a 3rd party display. AND they save money.

Good bye, throwaway screens!

Student of Life

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2020
What iMac sales declines say is that people who already own an iMac (those who aren't tech-focused like people here, representing the majority of Apple's market) are happy with what they have and see no need to purchase a newer iMac.

People here on MR are tech-focused believing they always need to have the latest and greatest. That's the minority of Apple's market.
No it says that the market of consumers who have disposable income won’t spend it on this product. Most people are complaining about the screen size.

The iMac has the M3 chip for crying out loud, you can’t get a better chip unless one is waiting for a pro version. The real issue is the screen size followed by the color, material choices.

Make this design 27 or more, put black bezels and give us a silver color and you have my money. I’ll pay the premium price for the ram and ssd but not for this version with white bezels, smaller screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.