Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ctrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2022
I managed to get it to work! I have the original Aperture 2 discs I bought years ago from a charity shop for £3. I installed this on my 2012 Mac Mini and then downloaded the 3.6 update from Softonic and it works like a charm.

Despite Apple allegedly turning off the feature for new devices iCloud Photo Stream still works with it, so you can crdate a shared album on your iPhone 15 entitled ‘Aperture’ and only invite yourself. It will then turn up in the iCloud section of Aperture. Apple do not get enough credit for their legacy support for older hardware.

Reactions: vjl323 and smirking

bladerunner88

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2009
Off World
I'm glad I'm not alone in how I feel about Aperture. I honestly felt like Apple designed that app just for me [I know, stilly]. But that's how comfortable I felt with it. I'm old enough I've developed and printed in real darkrooms, and have used Photoshop since it was 1.0 and Mac only. Aperture felt like the most natural app a photographer could ever use. I have far too many replacement apps, but none have made the process feel as smooth. I also have huge photo libraries in Aperture, and migrating them, making sure metadata is preserved, and all the things that could go wrong in that process - it's a huge task and I don't want to start it with an app I won't like [which is why I have been trying to migrate Projects into their own Libraries in Aperture, and then migrating the libraries into the other apps]. I highly miss the simple Vault feature. I have terabytes of data, and where I live, a very, very slow Internet connection [Backblaze will take at least 9 more months to finish a backup if I don't add more photos/videos to my drives - thinking about a stay in Erwin, TN as they have Google Fiber and while I'm not a fan of Google, I will gladly use their fiber to quickly upload this backlog!].

I know most in the industry have moved to Lightroom. I gave it tries multiple times [this was before Adobe went subscription] and being someone who has used Photoshop since the dawn of time, I was not against using an Adobe product like I am these days. It just didn't feel right though. And that's not something one can easily express to a developer - "your app doesn't feel right" is a lot harder to debug then giving specific bug reports or UI issues, etc. It did run on Windows so Windows folks got to use an app similar to Aperture - and Lightroom didn't require a monster machine to run on. But it never felt right. And now I've stopped using all Adobe products [not happy that Premier has overtaken FCP as I was an FCP v7 user who actually *loved* FCP X when it came out, though a few missing features were showstoppers on a few projects, but they eventually fixed that; I still like FCP X and worry about a day when it goes the way of Aperture. Since they have invested time in the iPad version, I am hoping it will stick around].

Aperture was ahead of its time, and very reasonably priced [even v1] at the time. It was truly a pro app and was deserving of the $499 initial version price, IMO. I would gladly spend that again on "Aperture: Reborn" if Apple decided to change direction. Phil was a big fan of the app, and he still works for Apple; too bad the App Store eats 80+ hours of his week. :( He probably doesn't shoot photos any more due to lack of time and lack of a good app to put them in!
Same hanging on to my Trashcan like grim Death for Aperture, I also have C1 but just hate the UI and all the hidden menu options. Everything just works on Aperture, still blows my mind that  just woke up one day and decided not to support it.After promoting it for long to Pro's. How hard would it be to just keep updating the RAW Profiles? And right around the time the first iPad Pro was announced Adobe came out with a mobile Vs. of P-Shop REALLY Apple why not a mobile Vs. of Apertue for crying Out Loud? You essentially suceeded all that iPad real Estate to Adobe!!!????

I once had the Producer of Lost and the Writer of Braveheart staring at my Mac Set-Up for 12 Hrs on a Hair/Makeup and Wardrobe Test for a New Show, I was Shooting tethered to my MBP, outputting to a Cinema Display and the whole show was being run by Aperture, you cant buy that kind of Advertising Apple!

Ahg yes am Ranting...

• Love
Reactions: vjl323 and AlumaMac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.