Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ios_8_extensions_icon-250x250.jpg
Following last week's iPhone and Apple Watch media event, Apple officially invited developers to begin submitting their iOS 8 apps for App Store review ahead of tomorrow's public release of the new operating system. While a number of developers have been tweaking their apps to work better with iOS 8 over the past few months, the major step forward comes as apps begin to support the new functionalities supported in iOS 8.

Apple has already begun approving some of these iOS 8-optimized apps, but a few high-profile developers are finding that some of their highly anticipated extensions are not working properly in the updated apps being distributed through the App Store. While only a small subset of iOS users are affected due to limited distribution of the iOS 8 golden master released to developers last week, the issue has been a concerning one for developers trying to diagnose it.

One example is OmniFocus 2 for iPhone [Direct Link], which will include an extension to add an OmniFocus list of tasks to the "Today" view in Notification Center. In the iOS 8-optimized version of OmniFocus 2 released over the weekend and a bug fix released yesterday, the Today view is currently not being properly populated with data from OmniFocus itself.

A similar issue is occurring with popular calculator app PCalc [Direct Link], and both issues appear to be related to code signing on Apple's end. PCalc developer James Thomson has been in touch with Apple and received word that the company is indeed working on the problem.

All indications are that this is a problem Apple will thankfully be able to fix without requiring developers to submit new versions of their apps, and presumably the company will have it fixed in time for the public release of iOS 8 tomorrow.

Update: Apple has fixed the issue, and is prompting users to re-download properly signed versions of the affected apps.

Article Link: Apple Approving iOS 8-Optimized Apps, but Extensions Not Working Properly Yet

BigBeast

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2009
New OS, new hiccups. We could always wait another couple months for iOS 8 if that's what people want...

j-a-x

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2005
Houston, Texas
I spent hours trying to figure out why the widget on my StepTracker update did not work in the iOS8 GM. I wish Apple would have just told us that this problem existed!!!!!

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I hope that this get corrected! It would not be good to release the OS tomorrow and have a ton of apps crashing. You know that samsung already has a commercial ready to attack (and maybe even paypal).

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
I think I'll wait for 8.0.1 for my iPhone
I have the GM installed on one of my iPads and I'm not 100% happy with it, it seem sooo slow

maildawg

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2014
Free Space Needed

I wonder how much free space I will need on my 16gb iphone 5 to install new ios ?

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Since somehow my iPhone 6 Plus doesn't arrive until sometime in November, even though I place my order 40 minutes after pre-sales went live, I'm sure the bugs will be worked out by then.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Does anyone know if third-party keyboards will be available for download when iOS 8 drops tomorrow? Even if the third-party keyboards are not available immediately, QuickType looks to be a million times better than what we have pre-iOS 8.

Chumburro2U

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2009
I Love L.A.
Fleksy for me.

Does anyone know if third-party keyboards will be available for download when iOS 8 drops tomorrow? Even if the third-party keyboards are not available immediately, QuickType looks to be a million times better than what we have pre-iOS 8.

I am wondering the same. But, Fleksy is the keyboard I am waiting for. We will find out tomorrow for sure. :cool:

vavalent

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2014
the GM has too many UI glitches that has to be fixed. A quick 8.0.1 release within the week is inevitable.

Sonmi451

Suspended
Aug 28, 2014
Tesla
I have a feeling there are going to be some growing pains from enabling extensions. It's going to take Apple and developers several months to get things right. But in the end these are going to be great. Best feature of ios8

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.