Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BlondieMacca12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2023
Hi,
I just changed my Apple password because a suspicious device was added to my Apple account and I have no idea what it is, and now Apple is asking for my passcode for my iPhone every time I do anything on my phone and is asking for my iPad passcode to be put into my phone???? Is this suspicious or am I being paranoid. Totally weird, I have never been hacked using Apple and hope it’s not happening now. Any advice please? I would be very grateful thank you.

Lex404

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2023
PL (&US)
Uuugh sounds like phishing.

Get in your account on appleid.apple.com and see what devices you're logged in. Remove any unknown device from there.

Also, change your apple password

Phishing isn't really hacking (aka, it's not using a system breach), it's rather trying to convince you that something fake is real (e.g an email telling you to update something in your account) and this way they gate the log in details.

And you're getting that notification because 2FA

BlondieMacca12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2023
Uuugh sounds like phishing.

Get in your account on appleid.apple.com and see what devices you're logged in. Remove any unknown device from there.

Also, change your apple password

Phishing isn't really hacking (aka, it's not using a system breach), it's rather trying to convince you that something fake is real (e.g an email telling you to update something in your account) and this way they gate the log in details.

And you're getting that notification because 2FA
Thank you. Yes it wasn’t an email, just a msg on screen of my iPad. I checked my devices and there was an iPhone and a tv unknown to me logged in so I deleted them and changed my passwords and logged out of all my known devices. Hopefully that will solve the issue?

BlondieMacca12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2023
Was this through an e-mail? You may have been phished.
No no email, just a msg from Apple I assume on my iPad screen informing me of an unknown device, when I checked my logged in devices there was an unknown tv and then an iPhone so I deleted them , changed my Apple password and logged out of all known devices, shut them down, rebooted and signed in new password. So far only known devices are listed. Hope it solves the issue. Never had it happen before. How is it possible for someone to log into your Apple account without you knowing?

BlondieMacca12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2023
Thank you. Yes it wasn’t an email, just a msg on screen of my iPad. I checked my devices and there was an iPhone and a tv unknown to me logged in so I deleted them and changed my passwords and logged out of all my known devices. Hopefully that will solve the issue?
Also, I keep getting requests in settings to update Apple ID setting because some accounts services won’t be available until I do.🤦‍♀️

Berries-A-Million

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2019
Hi,
I just changed my Apple password because a suspicious device was added to my Apple account and I have no idea what it is, and now Apple is asking for my passcode for my iPhone every time I do anything on my phone and is asking for my iPad passcode to be put into my phone???? Is this suspicious or am I being paranoid. Totally weird, I have never been hacked using Apple and hope it’s not happening now. Any advice please? I would be very grateful thank you.
If it's a pop up, that is normal. I've seen that many times on our devices at the house it'll ask for your ipad passcode to change something you requested. As long as its not an email you are good.

BlondieMacca12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2023
Also, I keep getting requests in settings to update Apple ID setting because some accounts services won’t be available until I do.🤦‍♀️
If it's a pop up, that is normal. I've seen that many times on our devices at the house it'll ask for your ipad passcode to change something you requested. As long as it’s not an email you are good.
oh really? I’ve never had that happen telling me I’ve just had a new device sign in and then check and there is an unknown device logged in… weird… my iPhone still getting msgs asking for passcode validation to be entered on iPhone for my iPad. I’ve never been asked to do that before

Berries-A-Million

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2019
Also, I keep getting requests in settings to update Apple ID setting because some accounts services won’t be available until I do.

oh really? I’ve never had that happen telling me I’ve just had a new device sign in and then check and there is an unknown device logged in… weird… my iPhone still getting msgs asking for passcode validation to be entered on iPhone for my iPad. I’ve never been asked to do that before
If you want I'd call apple to confirm. That maybe your best bet.

Reactions: BlondieMacca12

Rnd-chars

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2023
Did you recently install an iOS, iPadOS, or macOS update?

If so, I’ve found there can be some unexpected behavior when doing so. For example, yesterday I upgraded my Apple Watch to watchOS 10 and received an alert that a new device had been added to my account and had the ability to FaceTime (even though it was already signed into my account.)

I couldn’t find the Apple Support doc covering this, but this StackExchange answer covers what you’re experiencing. When this change first rolled out, a lot of folks expressed concern, but it is a normal (though poorly documented) part of Apple’s workflow.

Lex404

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2023
PL (&US)
If it's a pop up, that is normal. I've seen that many times on our devices at the house it'll ask for your ipad passcode to change something you requested. As long as its not an email you are good.
be careful with this.

if they got your password and/ or log in cookie, that pop up can grant them access. this is how Uber got hacked a year ago, was sending push notifications to Duo (2 factor auth) to an employee until he granted access. this pop up method is so stupid unfortunately because people can grant it by mistake..

I was also getting these on my microsoft account and when inspecting log in trials they were from all over the place but my country...

Reactions: BlondieMacca12

BlondieMacca12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2023
Did you recently install an iOS, iPadOS, or macOS update?

If so, I’ve found there can be some unexpected behavior when doing so. For example, yesterday I upgraded my Apple Watch to watchOS 10 and received an alert that a new device had been added to my account and had the ability to FaceTime (even though it was already signed into my account.)

I couldn’t find the Apple Support doc covering this, but this StackExchange answer covers what you’re experiencing. When this change first rolled out, a lot of folks expressed concern, but it is a normal (though poorly documented) part of Apple’s workflow.
Hi, no I haven’t updated recently, it was about 4 weeks ago.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.