Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ElTorro

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2013
Samsung, your move. What chemical will you reduce or eliminate? What was that? None, like usual.

New headline: Samsung does not discourage use of benzene and n-hexane during final manufacture.

Do you have any source to support your statements or is it just a speculative rant?

technopimp

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2009
So responding to pressure and petitions is now apparently "taking the lead"? :confused:

Interesting way to spin that I guess.

powers74

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2008
At the bend in the river
So what's the alternative chemical used for end process now?

mayonnaise.

orly?

Wouldn't that be nice.

Good guess.

Diciprine.

Already used.

Will Dijon mustard suffice?

I heard that Dijon mustard…. the official legitimate kind, from French Burgundy, make good ablative epoxy-polymers.

Now that's good to know.

No, sorry, the answer we're looking for is MagicTM.

Thanks for playing. ;)

However, Apple will still allow benzene and n-hexane at plants responsible for the early production phase of its devices, which are, for the most part, different from the final assembly plants. Apple is lowering the maximum amount of the two chemicals that can be used during early processes.

So........

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Out of the millions upon millions of phones Apple produced, has anyone gotten sick from using it?

While I doubt anyone could disagree with this and I'm sure we're all glad Apple is being transparent when it comes to manufacturing I do think Tim's Apple is a lot more PC than Steve's Apple was. Case in point the diversity numbers Apple released. I doubt that would have happened if Steve was still running the show. Even if there was pressure for him to do so he probably would have resisted it and provided a response that would have shut everyone up, IMHO.

----------

So responding to pressure and petitions is now apparently "taking the lead"? :confused:

Interesting way to spin that I guess.

What other consumer electronics company is as transparent as Apple is when it comes to manufacturing? Do HP, Dell, Lenovo, Samsung, Acer, Asus, LG, HTC, Microsoft, etc. provide this kind of information?

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
But apparently these are still available in any auto store. Look for MAF cleaner.

iPhysicist

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
Dresden
OK, let them ban the chemicals but for mother earths sake - NOT because because of health concerns. Don't get me wrong. The safety of the the employees should have been top priority from the beginning.
If you ever worked in the semiconductor Industry you know that there are more than two hazardous chemicals around but with proper training and handling procedures it is safe to work with them.

But how do those fabs handle the residues of fabrication chemicals? This is by far more hazardous to the people. Because outside the Fabs - there is neither protective clothing nor ventilation.

But OK - better to care a little than not at all - every step in the right direction is welcome!

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006
Good on Apple, but I'm sure that won't stop people from complaining about why they didn't do this years ago. Some might even complain that they didn't do this before Apple existed at all just to have an excuse to bash them about it. :rolleyes:

how twisted is your logic?

we are talking about hazardous chemicals linked with leukemia and nerve damage and you use words like complain and bash for people to have expectations from apple to not use them.

i dont get this kind of perverted loyalty towards any company (no matter its name or country)

kdarling

macrumors P6
The Cupertino company conducted a four-month investigation at 22 factories and found no evidence that either benzene or n-hexane endangered the 500,000 workers at those factories. Four of the factories had traces of the two chemicals at "acceptable safety levels" while the other 18 contained no trace of either.

So there was no safety issue.

Still, Apple decided to order its suppliers to stop using the two chemicals for final assembly for iPhones, iPads, Macs, iPods and accessories.

If there was no safety issue, why did they ban such commonly used chemicals?

The decision announced Wednesday comes five months after the activist groups China Labor Watch and Green America launched a petition drive calling on Apple Inc. to abandon the use of benzene and n-hexane in the production of iPhones.

Oh. Because of the protest in front of the Fifth Avenue store last April:

china_protest.jpg

And online petitions.

chinese factories will still use whatever does the best job or is cheapest, but now Apple is on record telling them not to

This. Apple, Samsung and other companies are constantly telling their suppliers not to do this or that, but it happens anyway. Partly because the same companies want the parts to be as cheap as possible.

MacSince1990

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2009
Didn't read the article, but from what I gather from the picture, Cook has gotten something of a demotion. Is anyone else as surprised as I am?

Less Hazardous Chemicals = Happy Customers.
Good job Apple.

..I sort of thought the more obvious implications might be safer environments for workers.

joe-h2o

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2012
So there was no safety issue.

If there was no safety issue, why did they ban such commonly used chemicals?

Oh. Because of the protest in front of the Fifth Avenue store last April:

View attachment 485582

And online petitions.

This. Apple, Samsung and other companies are constantly telling their suppliers not to do this or that, but it happens anyway. Partly because the same companies want the parts to be as cheap as possible.

Well, also because benzene is a pretty unpleasant compound. Even if you can handle it safely (I use it from time to time for various reactions), disposing of it has to be taken into account.

The same is true for hexane, which is a neurotoxin.

When all you're doing is degreasing components, then you can usually find something that is less toxic to do the job, like toluene or pentane (to name an alternative aromatic and aliphatic solvent).

There's no reason not to reduce the dependence on these sorts of compounds during the process for environmental as well as worker safety reasons.

Organic solvents like these are often destroyed by incineration. The less benzene you have to burn the better.

It's no different to reducing the use of lead in a product. It's toxic, but exposure to lead is pretty low for the workers and consumers (it's a solid, after all), but the environmental impact is high when the product reaches the end of its life.

For solvents like this that are used during manufacture (they aren't actually parts of the product), the environmental impact is up front. Reducing that impact is just as important as limiting worker exposure.

While it's clearly handled as safely as possible (the report notes no deaths from exposure), if you can avoid having large drums of benzene on the premises you eliminate the potential for an accident involving exposure or environmental contamination.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Well, also because benzene is a pretty unpleasant compound. Even if you can handle it safely (I use it from time to time for various reactions), disposing of it has to be taken into account.

The same is true for hexane, which is a neurotoxin.

True, they are well known, commonly used chemicals, which most people are exposed to fairly often in usually small, but sometimes higher than safe, amounts.

Hexane is in glues and paints which many people use in hobbies or at work.

Benzene is in our gasoline, and we breath it around gas stations and from car exhaust.

Worse, benzene is in cigarette smoke.

I suspect that these particular final assembly Chinese workers get far more benzene exposure from automobile smog and smoking.

--

So I agree it's a nice move, and might help a bit, but it's more about PC than safety.

It would be helpful to know what is replacing them.

Konrad9

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2012
Less Hazardous Chemicals = Happy Customers.
Good job Apple.

Unless it means a poorer quality device, or a price increase of more than $0.01, or a longer repair time, or a longer time between product launches.

If people really cared about these workers they'd refuse to purchase anything made in the factories until conditions improved.

But you don't really care, so you're not going to.

Spacedust

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2009
iPhone should use UMTS900 priority over UMTS2100, the same for UMTS850 over UMTS1900. That would greatly improve our health and battery life.

According to my tests UMTS900 uses exactly 24x more power (radiation) than UMTS2100 in the same place where both signals are max (200m from the cell tower).

Last edited:

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
Out of the millions upon millions of phones Apple produced, has anyone gotten sick from using it?

I guess you didnt read the news about people getting sick due to Nickel used on iPads and Phones? But those were a small group of people who were allergic to that metal.

kdarling

macrumors P6

Apparently yes. See this 2010 MacRumors thread:

Workers Suing iPhone Manufacturing Partner Over Chemical Poisoning

MacRumors said:
... at least 62 Wintek workers have been hospitalized since August 2009 due to n-hexane poisoning, a chemical "which can cause nerve damage and sometimes paralysis."

The note also cites media reports claiming that the factory manager had forced the company's workers to use the chemical instead of a safer alcohol product because of either faster drying times or reduced streakiness.

A related interview with a worker explained that they held iPhone screens in one hand, while swabbing them with n-hexane soaked cotton held in the other hand. And they did this hundreds of times a day.

You forget, however, that by banning these products during manufacturing, it also means the finished products (e.g. iPhone 6 and later) will also be free of these chemicals.

Apple only banned the chemicals during the final assembly of the parts.

They did NOT ban these solvents during the manufacturing of the individual parts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.