Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
I purchased a replacement battery for my 2016 RMB through the Apple Store.

When I got home, I ran Coconut Battery, which showed the new battery had 2 cycles (totally reasonable) and a 98 percent charge capacity (which also seems fine).

However, the "Age" of the battery was 300 days.

Does it seem normal that Apple would be using replacement batteries that are already nearly a year old?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
It's a new battery, manufactured only a few months ago.

You are, perhaps, lucky to get a battery that has had some time to "age-in", and has not been subjected to the abuse of charging during that time. :cool:

Reactions: japanime

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
In my opinion, 2 cycles is certainly new. "New" just means you are the first owner...same with new cars, new appliances, etc.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
It's a new battery, manufactured only a few months ago.

You are, perhaps, lucky to get a battery that has had some time to "age-in", and has not been subjected to the abuse of charging during that time. :cool:
In my opinion, 2 cycles is certainly new. "New" just means you are the first owner...same with new cars, new appliances, etc.

Thanks for the feedback!

PhoenixDown

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2012
I remember looking into this a few years ago and while I don't remember all the details, it seems that this was some kind of bug that never got fixed. All the advise said to focus on the charge cycles, not age as everyone here mentioned already.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
I remember looking into this a few years ago and while I don't remember all the details, it seems that this was some kind of bug that never got fixed. All the advise said to focus on the charge cycles, not age as everyone here mentioned already.
Thanks. I did a bit more research and found some talk about it as well. I figured the fact that mine only had two charge cycles was an excellent sign.

konqerror

macrumors 68020
Dec 31, 2013
When demand goes down, because a model is no longer in production, they can't keep manufacturing the spares continuously. It also takes time and money to retool, for example to install fixtures, calibrate the machines, educate new staff what to do. So eventually, they'll make a batch of spare parts and they'll sit on the shelf until they're used.

David Y

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2019
apple is known for lying when saying they replaced it with something new. they will never replace it with anything new and its a known fact. There so called refurbished macs or ipads that supposedly are replaced with new components are not in fact there have been cases where they have used WATER DAMAGED MOTHERBOARDS to replace it with... you can easily find it on youtube.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.