Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bscheffel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
If I take a 6th gen iPod touch to Apple for battery service (6th gen) do they swap the unit or replace the battery given soldering is required? My current 6th gen is battery swelling. Also any chance if they swap unit they would swap for a 7th gen :) ?

bscheffel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
Yes someone please answer! I can't imagine they do it on the spot given the soldering so wondering if they send in or just give you a replacement iPod for the $79 battery fee.

colodane

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2012
Colorado
With the Apple stores all closed now, your question is difficult to answer. Did you try contacting Apple support to see what they offer vial mail-in service?

sundialsoft

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2010
Scotland
No idea. If you send a device in for repair they check it first for other faults. I sent my practically perfect iPhone 6 plus back for a new battery and the whole post in and return thing was very fast. I got my own phone back.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
If I take a 6th gen iPod touch to Apple for battery service (6th gen) do they swap the unit or replace the battery?
The short answer, is "Yes" - they either swap the unit or replace the battery. There's no guarantee which it'll be, if you send the iPod in you might get the same one back or you might get a replacement. If you take it into a store, they would likely send it in for you and again, you'll get back what you get back.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
I can't imagine Apple doing a battery replacement for the iPod touch. I would guess that it's cheaper for them to send a replacement iPod touch of the same vintage and be done with it. The process to swap a battery in a touch is just ridiculous and not really worth it.

I would guess that you'd get a refurb and Apple would take strip your old iPod for parts/recycle. The cost of the service is $80, so it sounds to me like a straight up replacement. The time it takes to do a repair would drive the cost way above the $80, using an Apple mark-up.

Webster's Mac

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2016
They replace them. The battery is soldered in. They send the old one out to their special plant for refurbishing. It's not worth it for them to replace the battery. It is extremely difficult to do, even for experienced techs. You'll get back a refurb unit most likely

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
As Webster said, they don't do battery replacements on iPods, they'll charge you for a battery (as long as nothing else is broken) and will replace the entire unit with a refurb.

As to whether they'll upgrade you, I haven't seen any service bulletins so I assume you'll get a 6th gen back.

firehawk12

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2011
I had been looking for some info before doing this myself and can confirm that as of June at least, they're doing swaps with 6th gens.
I think I was hoping maybe they'd be completely out and ship a 7th gen since we're basically at the cusp of the 6th gen being vintage, but obviously wishful thinking. lol

alien3dx

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2017
my 6th gen battery health still 9x percent even few years. sorry no idea

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
They don't replace batteries on iPods. Whether you'll get a 6th/7th gen back depends purely on stock. If there's a long lead time/difficult availability on 6th gens, you'll get a 7th gen, otherwise you'll get a 6th gen.

You need to work out whether it's worth doing it though. You'll essentially be paying £80 for a refurbished iPod touch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.