Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bwb

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 25, 2004
Is anyone else having a login loop in Apple Books today, where it'll prompt to enter your password, it will accept the password, and then show the login dialog about 2 seconds later, repeating until you eventually click "Cancel"?

I've tried two different Apple ID's, created a new account on macOS Catalina, and changing my Apple ID password.

Other notes: My iCloud account is separate from my media account, but the loop happens under both Apple IDs. I seem to be able to see Apple Bookstore books even with the login loop (if I change Apple ID they disappear), but no purchased Audio Books show up.

bwb

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 25, 2004
I had called Apple yesterday, eventually escalated up to senior support. He took a look over screenshare and then said there were a couple other very recent calls for this same issue, he scheduled an appointment for one of their engineers looking into the bug report to call me this week.

It's pretty much independent of Apple ID for Books and user accounts (so clearing keychain or plists won't help). Not clear yet if it's a bug caused locally or on the backend. Safemode also doesn't help.

To add to the comment about no audio books showing up: Unlike "Books" that show a cloud icon if they are purchased but not downloaded, audiobooks don't have the same behavior on the Catalina app as on the iOS app (where the cloud does show) for whatever reason. Audiobooks will still show up under Book Store -> Purchased and downloaded from there. I'll mention it to the engineer as well, but seems like a weird mismatch in features and unrelated to the login bug. Since Books is a Project Catalyst app, it is the same codebase as the iOS app.. surprised it doesn't show purchased but not downloaded audiobooks.

Last edited:

bwb

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 25, 2004
Is this fixed for anyone? I can't replicate it today. I'm guessing backend server issue.

arefbe

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2010
Nope, still not fixed, and I'm on Mojave. Yet with the same Apple ID, I have no problems on my iPad or iPhone.

sotiredofsoup

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2010
Santa Monica, CA
I am also having this issue... in Apple Books the login window just loops. An incorrect password will explicitly say it's incorrect, but when I use the correct password the login window just reappears a minute later. No books will sync for me.

Tried authorizing my computer but it already was, I've had this 15" MBP for over 2 years and it has worked fine in the past.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.