Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
Hi everybody! I just replaced the radio/head unit in my car, mainly so I could get CarPlay. I was driving yesterday, and thought of what an Apple receiver/head unit would be like, and what I'd want in it? I don't know much about the head unit market, so I don't know how profitable it is nor how willing Apple is to get into. Ignoring that, what would you like to see in an Apple head unit? For me, I'd like to see:

• Wireless CarPlay (duh, they make it!)
  • Builtin Apple Maps navigation and GPS
  • Inputs for cameras
    • Reverse cameras (legally required in some places, I believe) with guiding lines
    • Dash/front camera
    • Left/right blindspot/parallel parking cams
    • HD cameras? (Kenwood has a 720p HDR backup camera)
  • 6.8" and 10.1"+ screens, at least 720p, preferably at least 1080P
  • Maybe HDRadio & SiriusXM?
  • Maybe cellular service to connect to Apple Music without need for a phone
  • iDatalink Maestro support to retain steering wheel controls, and maybe show different gauges
  • USB for wired CarPlay, power for phones, system updates, etc.
  • HDMI out for rear seat screens to show videos

NastyMatt

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2020
I have a Kenwood head unit (DMX8019DABS) that has most of that - no built in maps - I do not have steering wheel controls - no cellular service.

A couple of things I think you are missing is
  • DAB radio
  • Wireless (with wired option for charging)
I went for the no built in maps option on purpose - why have it if you have your phone with you? Same with cellular - I have not once needed another option (have had the head unit 2+ years now). Wireless is perfect, I always have my phone on me so I just get in the car and it all works, I do not even consider it connecting now - it just does it seamlessly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.