Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

1 iron

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2010
Infinite Loop
Saw this car driving in Ventura CA today and was able to get behind it. It has an Apple logo and says Prototype I on the trunk. Has exhaust tips so apparently not electric. No other visual cues of being a smart car (obvious cameras, sensors, accessories on dash) It kind of looks like a 7 series and we have a BMW emissions facility nearby and always see camoflage bimmers driving around. Could be a hoax vehicle but was cool to see.

Attachments

• IMG_1919.jpg
    IMG_1919.jpg
    294.5 KB · Views: 2,309
  • IMG_1920.jpg
    IMG_1920.jpg
    291.6 KB · Views: 601
  • IMG_1923.jpg
    IMG_1923.jpg
    355.9 KB · Views: 665
  • IMG_1921.jpg
    IMG_1921.jpg
    329.9 KB · Views: 1,773

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
That thing is a total troll hoax. Apple would never brandish any type of logo on a vehicle indicating ‘Prototype’ with an Apple logo, I mean, they’re a bit more secretive than that. And completely bizarre that they would have a ‘handicap placard’ on the back of a plate for a beta vehicle. Also, magnifying the wheels, has some scribbled insignia on the center caps, which indicates me it’s an aftermarket wheel.

Edit:

I ran the plate. It comes back to an older male who lives out of Fremont, California showing a residential address. So unless Apple is working out of his ‘private garage’, that’s a hoax.

Last edited:

1 iron

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2010
Infinite Loop
That thing is a total troll hoax. Apple would never brandish any type of logo on a vehicle indicating ‘Prototype’ with an Apple logo, I mean, they’re a bit more secretive than that. And completely bizarre that they would have a ‘handicap placard’ on the back of a plate for a beta vehicle. Also, magnifying the wheels, has some scribbled insignia on the center caps, which indicates me it’s an aftermarket wheel.

Edit:

I ran the plate. It comes back to an older male who lives out of Fremont, California showing a residential address. So unless Apple is working out of his ‘private garage’, that’s a hoax.
Does the report show what kind of car it is?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Does the report show what kind of car it is?
Actually, it doesn’t. Which is kind of strange to be honest, Because when I draw a DMV query search, it will pull up the make/model/year/plate exp and color, and nothing shows what kind of vehicle this is. Which leads me to believe, this could be a covert vehicle. It’s a tactic the FBI uses when they’re driving undercover vehicles, the registration might show that it’s owned by ‘XYZ electric company’, so that way local law-enforcement doesn’t know that it’s actually an FBI vehicle for investigative purproses. Similarly, if Apple really was masking this as some type of Prototype, they somehow registered it with the DMV that it doesn’t show the make and model, which maybe there might be some legitimacy to this [Given this vehicle doesn’t exist with a legitimate VIN #] , even though there’s a lot of obvious markings on the vehicle that Apple wouldn’t normally brandish given they’re known for being very discreet/secretive.

Lastly, it’s registered to someone out of Fremont California, which we all know Tesla has a major plant there, which maybe Apple is trolling or vice versa.

You should forward your findings to the editors of MacRumors for a front page article, it would make for an interesting discussion.

Last edited:

1 iron

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2010
Infinite Loop
Actually, it doesn’t. Which is kind of strange to be honest, Because when I draw a DMV query search, it will pull up the make/model/year/plate exp and color, and nothing shows what kind of vehicle this is. Which leads me to believe, this could be a covert vehicle. It’s a tactic the FBI uses when they’re driving undercover vehicles, the registration might show that it’s owned by ‘XYZ electric company’, so that way local law-enforcement doesn’t know that it’s actually an FBI vehicle for investigative purproses. Similarly, if Apple really was masking this as some type of Prototype, they somehow registered it with the DMV that it doesn’t show the make and model, which maybe there might be some legitimacy to this [Given this vehicle doesn’t exist with a legitimate VIN #] , even though there’s a lot of obvious markings on the vehicle that Apple wouldn’t normally brandish given they’re known for being very discreet/secretive.

Lastly, it’s registered to someone out of Fremont California, which we all know Tesla has a major plant there, which maybe Apple is trolling or vice versa.

You should forward your findings to the editors of MacRumors for a front page article, it would make for an interesting discussion.
Very cool investigative work. I agree it is a bit obtrusive for Apple to put something so secretive right out in the open like this knowing their reputation of secrecy. And yes, maybe some Tesla operatives are at work as well. I'll reach out to the editors and see if this goes anywhere. Thanks!

Reactions: Mr. Awesome

Canyda

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2020
As it's running CarOS Developer Beta 1, it can only turn right, its camera can only recognize green, and it has lousy battery life.

• Haha
Reactions: Mr. Awesome

csilverman

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2011
lol, that's a photoshopped G90 Genesis, https://www.caranddriver.com/photos/g30224351/2020-genesis-g90-drive-gallery/?slide=2

View attachment 1796572
You see the tail lights and exhaust tips. The roof looks like a Tesla morphed into it too.
Doesn’t look Photoshopped to me. Someone good enough could certainly do it, but I’d say it’s a lot more likely that somebody’s been paying attention to the Apple rumor mill and thought it would be amusing to stick an Apple logo on his car and give the forums something to talk about. It’s pretty funny, honestly—makes me want to do something like that.

(I don’t believe for a second that any Apple prototype vehicle would have an Apple logo, but if you see a car with a weird Death-Star-looking logo, though, let us know.)

Reactions: 1 iron

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
That’s why I couldn’t get the entire vehicle info, because there is no VIN for that vehicle. Regardless, someone is intentionally trolling one way or the other either from the photo or the vehicle actually being driven by the individual on the roadway.

Last edited:

MacDaddyPanda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2018
Murica
Doesn’t look Photoshopped to me. Someone good enough could certainly do it, but I’d say it’s a lot more likely that somebody’s been paying attention to the Apple rumor mill and thought it would be amusing to stick an Apple logo on his car and give the forums something to talk about. It’s pretty funny, honestly—makes me want to do something like that.

(I don’t believe for a second that any Apple prototype vehicle would have an Apple logo, but if you see a car with a weird Death-Star-looking logo, though, let us know.)
Yes I retracted myself. It looks like G80.

Xak444

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2021
Wonder if it’s electric but just using the body from that car. The branding does seem weird

Euroamerican

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2010
Boise
I was imagining we'd see something like a BMW i3, but with less doors and white disc-like wheels... or like a VW New Beetle with toned down logos and a weird iconic blue glow.

JonnyObnoxious

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2021
Ventura, CA
I saw Prototype II today at a gas station in Camarillo, CA. Looks exactly the same, also a handicapped plate, but it was definitely branded Prototype II. Also had totally different wheels.. The driver put gas in it. I don't even like Apple, but I joined this forum just to reply because this was the only place I found anything on this.

romanof

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2020
Texas
Interesting - not the car, but the fact that you can run the license plate through the DMV as an individual in California. Not here. Of course, you could visit any number of data brokers and find out who the guy's first girlfriend was, and anything else, but according to the state Web Site, the unauthorized access of the DMV database for license plates is both a state and federal felony.

As an aside, I hope it isn't an Apple car. That would mean that pigs actually will learn to fly and that could be really messy.

Comoestas

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2021
Got a video of this car in Camarillo today. Same license plate. Old guy with glasses and white hair driving.

Comoestas

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2021
That looks like the same Hyundai Genesis someone posted earlier.
It is the same car (Same license plate). I just posted because I saw this thread when I started looking it up. Noticed some people thought it was photoshopped, but I can confirm it is not.

Reactions: Weaselboy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.