Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 10, 2012
Looking through your posts again, what I cannot fathom is why now? Your opening post says you've used the card for a numbers of years and have had no problems and what made it even more bizarre is that the system flagged up a legitimate successful transaction.

I therefore do wonder that since the recent introduction of AI systems from Google and Microsoft, I wonder if the card issuer is trying out a AI security feature that they plan to introduce across their complete system and therefore to test it they gave it a number of months worth of data to see what it would spew out and it incorrectly flagged your transaction because as some of us have pointed out, if a card issuer see's some dodgy transactions taking place, they will immediately put a block on the account and get in contact with the account holder telling them there is a potential problem. Over the large number of years I've had various CC's, when ever one of them thinks something dodgy has taken place they have immediately blocked my account and got in contact with me. All done within a day or 2 days. Never has it taken over 2 days. So for it to take close to a month for your CC to get in contact with you tells me something is going on in the background with your CC.

I wonder if it will happen again, now that it has happened once.
Yeah why I posted here - to see if anyone else is getting same thing. I have a friend with an Apple CC - they're good so far.

Same experience for me - usually they block the attempt to buy something and then make you call in to verify the purchase.

All my other CCs are fine too lol. I use Apple as my primary (and have for several years now).

Oh well, at least back up and running now after an hour of inconvenience.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Well, if Goldman Sachs takes 1 month to flag a ”fraudulent” transaction incorrectly and thus locks a users credit card as a result, I can see why GS decides to pull out of consumer market, and probably another reason why Apple Card never takes off outside of US. No one would use a card that is this slow to flag a fraudulent transaction, not to mention it is not even recognizing the truly suspicious one.
Yea Barclays is terrible too. I don't even get notifications until the next day. I could be getting frauded for like 24h and not know. Do something with AMEX or Wells Fargo, and I have three notifications before I even submit the transaction!

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
I wonder how these "fraudulent" transactions are flagged. Here's my first and recent experience with the Apple Card:

We'll be travelling to Europe in the next few months and I was making an online purchase of hotel reservations using the hotel (based in Europe) website. On the website, the card had to be manually entered (i.e.,g this is not Apple Pay through the computer), transaction went through but immediately my phone and Watch received notification that a charge came through and it requires my verification for it to be processed. I can't exactly recall the words in the notification but it maybe have been something like "Declined pending verification". So I tapped on the transaction which asked me to verify or decline the transaction. I verified it and immediately the transaction went through.

I thought that was really helpful. It's interesting that that would be marked as a potential fraudulent transaction. Meanwhile, I've bought books from online UK sellers (big names like Blackwell) and that has never been flagged.

Reactions: BigMcGuire
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.