Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sevoneone

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 16, 2010
I just got two notifications from Apple that payments to Apple Card made on April 29th and May 31st were unsuccessful and the money returned to our bank account. Indeed the full amount for both payments was just credited to our checking account. I’ve called both Apple/Goldman Sachs and my bank (Chase) and the neither has any explanation why this happened. We made no request to cancel or reverse any payments. Apple sees no problem with the transactions up until they sent the money back 58 minutes ago, but there is no indication or notes as to why. On our checking account, the original payments still show as paid, the return is showing up as two new credits.

I am really upset because use our Apple Card day to day for the cash back and pay off the balance in one or two payments every month to avoid interest and now The card is over the spending limit and retroactive interest charges just started showing up.

Apple Card has an open case and have put in to have the interest charges reversed and advised me to resubmit the payments but they are not able to provide me any answers why this happened yet.

Has anyone had anything like this happen with Apple Card? This is really strange.

• Wow
Reactions: Boyd01

sevoneone

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 16, 2010
And I'm getting notifications from Chase now of other credits from Apple to my checking account and they match payment amounts back to November... I am going to wake up tomorrow with a gigantic Apple Card balance...

sevoneone

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 16, 2010
Update so far:

The pending credits disappeared and I resubmitted the other payments as requested by GS/Apple. While trying to transfer money into my Apple Cash account to make the payments that way, somehow my Apple Cash account become restricted due to suspicious activity, and now today, another payment to the Apple Card originally made on May 2nd and cleared my bank account on May 4th has been randomly retro-declined and returned to my bank account. This time Apple says the message is "Payment Authorization Revoked" to which my bank has no clue what that means and no idea why the money was returned. I think I am going to have to get the CFPB involved. This is totally out of hand.

sevoneone

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 16, 2010
It's become a very long and drawn out story. But essentially we found out this was part of a case of identity theft and attempted fraud. Someone got my wife's information and called our bank impersonating her. The fraudsters initiated the reversals on payments made to our Apple Card and some other vendors/services. Somehow they convinced Chase that payments going all the way back to November were not valid charges and reversed about $12,000 in payments... I have a big bone to pick with Chase about this as it took 3 or 4 calls and several days for any of their reps to mention to us the reversals had been requests made by my "wife." Leaving fraudsters free run of our account for days. Apparently the scammers had been trying to call my wife posing as Apple to try and get her to send them the returned money. On the same day we realized we were victims of fraud the fraudsters tried to transfer the sum of the returned payments to an Apple Cash account that didn't belong to my wife or I. There was a process to get that money back but not too bad.

Chase was the biggest problem throughout the whole thing. Every time we called in they told us something different. First that the reversed payments would go back to their original payees, then that we would need to contact each vendor and setup the payments with them, then three days after we did that, they un-reversed all the reversals leaving us with a giant negative balance in our checking account for nearly two weeks, swearing they never told us to resend the payments all while their un-reversed payments were not showing up at any of the vendors.

Apple and Goldman Sachs were the absolute bright point in this whole thing. When we couldn't figure out what the heck was going on on July 5th, I wrote an email to Tim Cook and Eddy Cue. I actually got a call from Eddy Cue's assistant who connected me with an executive account rep at Goldman Sachs who, once we realized what was happening, was amazing and took care of making sure all the payments and back interest that started popping up on my Apple Card was swiftly taken care of and credited back and that the account was exactly as it was before all the madness. It was the most personable, pleasant and easiest experience I've ever had dealing with a bank/financial institution.

Reactions: fauxtog and ian87w

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
It's become a very long and drawn out story. But essentially we found out this was part of a case of identity theft and attempted fraud. Someone got my wife's information and called our bank impersonating her. The fraudsters initiated the reversals on payments made to our Apple Card and some other vendors/services. Somehow they convinced Chase that payments going all the way back to November were not valid charges and reversed about $12,000 in payments... I have a big bone to pick with Chase about this as it took 3 or 4 calls and several days for any of their reps to mention to us the reversals had been requests made by my "wife." Leaving fraudsters free run of our account for days. Apparently the scammers had been trying to call my wife posing as Apple to try and get her to send them the returned money. On the same day we realized we were victims of fraud the fraudsters tried to transfer the sum of the returned payments to an Apple Cash account that didn't belong to my wife or I. There was a process to get that money back but not too bad.

Chase was the biggest problem throughout the whole thing. Every time we called in they told us something different. First that the reversed payments would go back to their original payees, then that we would need to contact each vendor and setup the payments with them, then three days after we did that, they un-reversed all the reversals leaving us with a giant negative balance in our checking account for nearly two weeks, swearing they never told us to resend the payments all while their un-reversed payments were not showing up at any of the vendors.

Apple and Goldman Sachs were the absolute bright point in this whole thing. When we couldn't figure out what the heck was going on on July 5th, I wrote an email to Tim Cook and Eddy Cue. I actually got a call from Eddy Cue's assistant who connected me with an executive account rep at Goldman Sachs who, once we realized what was happening, was amazing and took care of making sure all the payments and back interest that started popping up on my Apple Card was swiftly taken care of and credited back and that the account was exactly as it was before all the madness. It was the most personable, pleasant and easiest experience I've ever had dealing with a bank/financial institution.
Glad you got those sorted out.
It's really frustrating when a big financial institutions/banks acted so carelessly. I mean yeah, there are scammers, but it's not helping when the people inside the banks are enablers, whether intentional or not. Sometimes it's really a wonder why we put so much trust of our financials with these people.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
My experience with Chase is that most of their people are morons. I only use them for business and mostly because I dont have to interact with them.

Reactions: sevoneone
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.