Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mlody

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 11, 2012
Windy City
Are kids who are added as participants (authorized users) to Apple Card and in the 13-18 age bracket automatically reported to the major credit bureaus? All I can find is that if an applicant turns 18 they can opt to be reported or not, but what happens for kids in the 13-18 age bracket? Are they automatically being reported too? Does anyone know? None of the Apple's support articles touch on that subject for some reasons as far as I can tell.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
Are kids who are added as participants (authorized users) to Apple Card and in the 13-18 age bracket automatically reported to the major credit bureaus? All I can find is that if an applicant turns 18 they can opt to be reported or not, but what happens for kids in the 13-18 age bracket? Are they automatically being reported too? Does anyone know? None of the Apple's support articles touch on that subject for some reasons as far as I can tell.

If anything, the Apple Card has very good customer service via chat and/or phone.
My recommendation is to take a few minutes and discuss it with G/S.

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021

cthompson94

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2022
SoCal
I am pretty sure unless you put the SSN of the child on the card then it will not be reported to the credit agencies. A good way to think of it is like a cooperate card (at least most as I have heard of some funky corp cards) where the business is the credit holder and you are the authorized user and what you do with the card is between you and the business. The child account would be authorized to use the card since you granted permission to allow purchases or whatever and you are responsible.

mlody

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 11, 2012
Windy City
I reached out to Apple and GS support and they both confirmed that kids between 13-18 are not reported to credit buerous and there is no way to change it. I find this a huge omission as in my opinion building credit history for kids would be the only reasonable use case for adding them in the first place; otherwise, they can use Apple Cash. Oh well, time to look for a new credit card

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
Let me bring back this old thread from the dead to give some more info... my daughter has been on my Apple Card as a participant since just before she turned 16. As you can see she has not built any credit during this time as Apple does not report minors to the credit bureau. Well she just turned 18 and so we followed the instructions at https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212271 to have her opt into credit reporting now that she is an adult. Unfortunately when going to the Credit Card Info tab there is no option to "Build Credit History" as suggested there should be. I suspect this is because I never was required to provide her SSN when we signed her up as a minor. A brief chat via the Wallet app to the Apple Card folks didn't help at first as after they "researched" the issue they stated there was no way for a participant to build credit but when I showed the link at https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212271 they said "oops I guess you can" but I didn't have time to run to ground why the option isn't showing in my daughters wallet app in the Apple Card info tab. I'll try again soon and see if the SSN is the issue but its a bit of a pain getting this setup when going from a minor to an adult when the kid turns 18.

ovbacon

Suspended
Feb 13, 2010
Tahoe, CA
I reached out to Apple and GS support and they both confirmed that kids between 13-18 are not reported to credit buerous and there is no way to change it. I find this a huge omission as in my opinion building credit history for kids would be the only reasonable use case for adding them in the first place; otherwise, they can use Apple Cash. Oh well, time to look for a new credit card
They cannot build credit history as they are not allowed to work or take out loans etc etc... You the adult are taking full responsibility for their actions.

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
They cannot build credit history as they are not allowed to work or take out loans etc etc... You the adult are taking full responsibility for their actions.

thanks for the reply but you misunderstand how the system works. as a participant with ZERO responsibility to pay the bill on a credit card you CAN AND WILL BUILD CREDIT when the information on that card is reported to the bureaus. It doesn't build nearly as fast or as high as if they had their OWN credit card and work history but EVEN AS A MINOR they can build credit history on the backs of their parent's cards etc. (don't put them on if your own credit is poor, it will hurt them too). this offers a powerful tool for parents to help get their kids off on the right foot in high school or for certain once adults in lets say college. Apple has chosen NOT to offer this for minors but DOES offer it for anyone 18 and older who is an Apple Card *participant.* other banks and credit cards DO offer this reporting for minors. For more information on minors building credit without working or being responsible for a credit card see this: https://www.chase.com/personal/cred...ow-to-establish-credit-history-for-your-child

for apple card's implementation of this see this: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212271

Last edited:

ovbacon

Suspended
Feb 13, 2010
Tahoe, CA
No need to shout...

Yes I actually really do understand and Generally, the minimum age at which a child can start building credit is age 18. However, age restrictions can differ by state, product and financial institution. For example, states have different regulations surrounding whether a child under 18 can co-sign on a student loan. These individualized policies will affect how early teenagers can establish their own credit.

But you have already found your answer so there is really no reason to fill your response with all caps and asterisks.

Last edited:

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
No need to shout...

Yes I actually really do understand and Generally, the minimum age at which a child can start building credit is age 18. However, age restrictions can differ by state, product and financial institution. For example, states have different regulations surrounding whether a child under 18 can co-sign on a student loan. These individualized policies will affect how early teenagers can establish their own credit.

But you have already found your answer so there is really no reason to fill your response with all caps and asterisks.

I sincerely apologize you took my emphasis on a few phrases badly. It wasn’t meant that way. I still seek any input on why a minor participant who has just turned 18 doesn’t have the “Build Credit History” option selectable in their Apple Card wallet app, card info screen. If anyone has had this niche situation and knows the answer I’d appreciate it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.