Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 2, 2008
The fine print says the phone must be activated on ATT, Sprint, Verizon or T-Mobile.

Anyone do it while activating on a MVNO? I'm talking about the unlocked SIM-Free model. I'm considering the 12 Pro.

It may be easier for me to convince myself if I don't have to put out over $1000 this month on a phone I don't really need :)

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I don’t think you have to activate the phone on any specific carrier. I selected the unlocked SIM free version and had no trouble choosing installments without activation.

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 2, 2008
I wonder why they are saying this. Unless by the time of the first payment if it hasn't been activated they make the whole balance due (or start charging interest).

If I go this route, and they disallow the 0% installments, I would just pay it off and warn people. No way would I take 24 months to pay it off. I hate debt.

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 2, 2008
Completely false.

Not completely. On the Apple Store app on my iPhone, it said this. On the web page on the computer, it just said it had to be activated. And I really question that since someone may be buying it as a gift, and if it shipped this month the first bill would be due in November, with any activation after Christmas.

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 2, 2008
Saying what? Where? Link?

It was on the Apple Store app on my iPhone. I looked later on the web page and the fine print didn't mention the 4 national carriers, just said it had to be activated.

I'm assuming it will work, ordered the SIM free model on the 24 month payment plan about 15 minutes ago. I will be gifting my iPhone 11 and 7+ this year to cut down on excess phones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.