Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JohnR

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 4, 2007
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
What are the drawbacks to depositing money into Apple Savings? I mean, 4.15% interest is way above any bank that I have seen, so why shouldn't I deposit (for example) $5000 into there and just let it sit?

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
There are no real drawbacks. The issue people run into is when they deposit the only money they have and treat it like a checking account. Applies to any bank obviously but because it’s Apple there’s certain clientele that don’t understand this and complain.

That said I believe there is a drawback and that’s the 4.15% being advertised so heavily they don’t adjust rates when the Fed raises them. I opened another, more commercial, HYSA because I thought this would happen and sure enough they increased their interest rates with the Fed but Apple/GS did not. That said, I’ll be curious what happens to the 4.15% when the rates start lowering and if my commercial bank dips below 4.15% I’ll jump back to Apple/GS.

Reactions: imlovinit

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
You can get the 4.15% from most banks, they're just not standard savings accounts, they're investment accounts. They don't have set time limits like some things such as CDs, etc., and your money can be accessed at any time (generally takes a day or two to withdraw).

The only drawback (for me) with Apple Savings is that I can't have the account in the name of my Family Trust like every other bank and credit card account I have. This is important for me and my family, so while I do use Apple Savings, it doesn't hold the bulk of our savings.

jbjarko

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2015
MPLS
You can get the 4.15% from most banks, they're just not standard savings accounts, they're investment accounts. They don't have set time limits like some things such as CDs, etc., and your money can be accessed at any time (generally takes a day or two to withdraw).

The only drawback (for me) with Apple Savings is that I can't have the account in the name of my Family Trust like every other bank and credit card account I have. This is important for me and my family, so while I do use Apple Savings, it doesn't hold the bulk of our savings.

Agree with the last paragraph. The fact that I can jointly hold the CC with my fiancé, but we can't share or both see the savings, quite frankly sucks. It's not the end of the world, but that's the only negative for me.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
Agree with the last paragraph. The fact that I can jointly hold the CC with my fiancé, but we can't share or both see the savings, quite frankly sucks. It's not the end of the world, but that's the only negative for me.
No joint HYSA option is pretty common for banks not sure why but it is. Once again, people not realizing it’s not just Apple/GS.

jbjarko

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2015
MPLS
No joint HYSA option is pretty common for banks not sure why but it is. Once again, people not realizing it’s not just Apple/GS.

I haven't run into that issue, I have different high yield accounts with other banks and they're joint accounts. Never said it was just Apple, just not something that I've run across.

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
It is a good rate but you have to keep on top of it. It can change at any time for no reason at all. I sort of consider it a teaser rate, good for today but perhaps not tomorrow.

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
There's no drawback, other than it might take a few business days to access the money in a form that can actually be used. I've been using Betterment (currently at 4.75%) for savings for over a decade and have had no issues.

JohnR

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 4, 2007
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
Hey I know that name! Long time no see Jim!

guess I haven been paying attention to bank savings rates. Just looked at USAA and they were at 0.01% and so I assumed they all were the same

imlovinit

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
There are some places such as Ally Bank with higher rates but if you're already getting Apple Cash it doesn't hurt just to have it go to savings instead.

Though I strongly go against anyone using this as a checking account lol IDK why but this seems to be a popular thing with new to credit folks online.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
No drawbacks if you’re using it as intended. It’s a savings account so it’s not for a quick transactions like a checking account. It might take a few days for money to appear available.

Don’t get too excited about 4.15%. There are other accounts out there that offer the similar rate, or maybe even a little higher, but likely with less convenience.

Also, even if you deposit $5000 in savings your 4.15% it’s only going to be $5207.50 in one year. With the current inflation rate you’re still losing money.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.