Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ecschwarz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 28, 2010
Here’s a weird one I came across—I got an iPhone 15 and everything got set up just fine. I went to pay for something at a place with a Square register (the standalone Android-based ones, not the iPad/iPhone/Android add-on devices) and it showed “Payment cancelled” and had me try again.

It failed again and my Apple Card on Apple Watch worked fine. I deleted and re-added the card on my iPhone and it worked fine at another place with a Ingenico terminal. Other cards have worked fine at other places, too.

Today, I went around the corner to my local coffee shop, and the same thing happened. I ended up trying a Chase Visa instead and it worked. That leads me to believe that my Apple Card is fine, there’s no Square outage/issue, and Apple Pay works on my phone, but mixing those three seems to cause problems. Anyone else running into this?

(I’m also in the process of reaching out to Apple/GS and the only thing I can think of is that maybe they’re using a new sequence for device account numbers and Square doesn’t know about it yet. From a troubleshooting standpoint, I can remove and re-add it to another device and try.)

Last edited:

jg673

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2020
I’m experiencing the same thing. it always says “Payment Cancelled” on Square Register with iPhone 15 Pro. Tried multiple cards. Same issue on Apple Watch Ultra 2. Other POS systems work fine with them. Maybe an issue with the 2nd gen Ultra Wideband chip.

Reactions: ecschwarz

ecschwarz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 28, 2010
I’m experiencing the same thing. it always says “Payment Cancelled” on Square Register with iPhone 15 Pro. Tried multiple cards. Same issue on Apple Watch Ultra 2. Other POS systems work fine with them. Maybe an issue with the 2nd gen Ultra Wideband chip.
I contacted Apple/GS and GS said it was an Apple issue - kicked it over to them. The person I spoke with agreed that it's probably not an issue with my phone's NFC radio (as other cards were fine and it worked at other merchants) nor the card itself. One thing we were going to try was remove and re-add my card to my Apple Watch (in case it's a provisioning issue on recently-added cards) and I have a case number to follow up.

If you haven't, I'd recommend reaching out to Apple just so there's maybe more record of this.

ecschwarz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 28, 2010
An update—looks like it’s not just newer devices. After removing and re-adding my Apple Card on my Apple Watch Series 4, the same thing happens.

Since the place I visited wasn’t busy, I asked if they saw anything on their side of the screen and it just showed “payment failed - canceled.”

I called Apple Card support and they kicked me over to regular Apple support where I followed up on the existing case. The first representative seemed more concerned over if my devices were updated, so I followed up on chat and got someone else who mentioned that they're doing some maintenance. It's now an existing case, but sounds about like a bug report radar at this point.

Last edited:

ecschwarz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 28, 2010
Just to tie up a loose end, I went back to one of the businesses from earlier and everything seems to be working again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.