Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macphoto861

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 20, 2021
I've used my Apple Card (via Apple Watch) at a particular gas station for the past four years or so. But about a month ago, when I hold the Watch up to the reader (with the Apple Card selected), the reader beeps twice, and the screen says "declined". Oddities:

1) This same payment method works fine at stores and restaurants, so the problem does not appear to be with not my Apple Card or Watch.
2) OTHER cards on my Apple Watch work at this gas station, so the problem is not their readers.

Any clue as to what might be causing this?

cjake

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2014
Maybe try an Exxon or Mobil station?

The new select merchant of Apple Card. ExxonMobil is Apple Card’s exclusive fuel provider, giving Apple Card users 3% Daily Cash back on fuel, C-Store and car wash purchases using Apple Card with Apple Pay® at Exxon™ and Mobil™ stations.* Apple Card members can pay for fuel and C-Store items where NFC readers are available. They can also connect their card with and pay for fuel through the Exxon Mobil Rewards+™ app. Apple Card with Apple Pay is a contactless payment method that gives consumers a safe and secure way to purchase fuel and C-Store items.

macphoto861

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 20, 2021
Maybe try an Exxon or Mobil station?
Yes, it actually is an Exxon station... the one I almost always go to, thanks to its proximity to my home, and the 3%.

I just tried again a little while ago. When I tap the watch, the reader immediately beeps twice (as opposed to the normal single beep) and a few moments later says declined (in other words, it doesn't give the normal single beep, and decline after talking to the bank... the problem occurs right when the NFC is read). But again, works fine with another card I have on my watch.

Also, I had a similar problem at a restaurant yesterday... my Apple Card was declined, and I reverted to another card after several tries. Yet, I used it at a coffee shop this morning, at a restaurant this afternoon, and an ice cream place a little while later.

Eric Idle

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2020
Yes, it actually is an Exxon station... the one I almost always go to, thanks to its proximity to my home, and the 3%.

I just tried again a little while ago. When I tap the watch, the reader immediately beeps twice (as opposed to the normal single beep) and a few moments later says declined (in other words, it doesn't give the normal single beep, and decline after talking to the bank... the problem occurs right when the NFC is read). But again, works fine with another card I have on my watch.

Also, I had a similar problem at a restaurant yesterday... my Apple Card was declined, and I reverted to another card after several tries. Yet, I used it at a coffee shop this morning, at a restaurant this afternoon, and an ice cream place a little while later.

Contact GS and ask why your card was declined.

macphoto861

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 20, 2021
Contact GS and ask why your card was declined.
Yeah, I know ultimately that's the solution... I just have a feeling it's going to result in them saying, "must be something wrong with the gas station's reader... contact them", with the gas station saying "it's your card, contact the bank."

CMoore515

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2015
Des Moines, IA
Yeah, I know ultimately that's the solution... I just have a feeling it's going to result in them saying, "must be something wrong with the gas station's reader... contact them", with the gas station saying "it's your card, contact the bank."

But GS will likely have a reason code for the denial, as well.

Reactions: AZhappyjack

Böhme417

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
But GS will likely have a reason code for the denial, as well.
...if it even got that far. I remember during the earlier days of the Apple Watch, stuff would "decline" all the time, but the card issuers would say they never even got an authorization attempt.

macphoto861

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 20, 2021
...if it even got that far. I remember during the earlier days of the Apple Watch, stuff would "decline" all the time, but the card issuers would say they never even got an authorization attempt.
That's the impression I get at the gas station... the "two beeps" (which are slightly lower pitched than the normal one beep) happens instantly as soon as I tap my watch, like it's not even attempting to contact for an authorization, the reader just immediately rejects it for its own reasons.

I've already tried removing/re-adding the Apple Card on my Watch. I think what I'll do now is, just to get a few more data points, next time I know I'll be stopping for gas, I'll wear my other Apple Watch (which is also a S7, but aluminum/GPS as opposed to my main SS), and if that one also doesn't work, I'll try paying with that card on my iPhone. Might also try a different Exxon station in my town (hopefully that one also has NFC at the pump).

macphoto861

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 20, 2021
Stopped at the gas station yesterday (didn't really need gas, but just wanted to try using Apple Pay on my iPhone rather than with the Watch). Same behavior... the reader immediately gives two beeps, and a few moments later the pump's screen says "declined".

Interestingly, the iPhone briefly displays a "Could Not Complete Payment" alert which appears simultaneously with the two beeps (took me a few tries to capture the screen shot), so the iPhone "knows" that there was a problem.

IMG_6544.PNG

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.