Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gshocked

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 3, 2019
Australia
Hi all,

I'm just wondering if anyone has purchased a Mac Studio or other Mac product recently and had to debate the start date of their Limited Warranty and Apple Care?

So it seems that the start of my Limited Warranty is when it was shipped from China, for example, 1st April. Not when I physically received the delivery on the 11th of April. How is that right? (Addition*) I opened my Mac Studio a few days later, which should be the start date! I mentioned to the sales rep, that DJI undertakes this practice with their Drones.

Then when I tried to purchase Apple Care +, the very nice sales representative mentioned that it would start from that initial shipping date of the 1st of April and not the 11th? Again, this all seems very odd and unethical?

Any thoughts or is this just regular Apple business practice ??

Last edited:

MLVC

macrumors demi-god
Apr 30, 2015
Maastricht, The Netherlands
Following as I'll be having this discussion soon with Apple. So far several reps told me that I would be able to change it to the delivery date of the Mac (as it took weeks to get here), while others told me it started at the date of shipping. I received mine last Thursday, but wasn't home to set it up, so will give them a call next week to sort these things out.

Reactions: gshocked

gshocked

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 3, 2019
Australia
Following as I'll be having this discussion soon with Apple. So far several reps told me that I would be able to change it to the delivery date of the Mac (as it took weeks to get here), while others told me it started at the date of shipping. I received mine last Thursday, but wasn't home to set it up, so will give them a call next week to sort these things out.
Hi, I'm sure they will update it.

If you can have all your details handy. They asked to screen share with me and I showed them the Tracking information. Then the Support Tab - in About This Mac, had the Limited Warranty Date (which was the shipping date from China).

I said the same thing about the set-up date, which was a few days later.

Unfortunately, it seems after you bypass the salesperson and speak to the warranty team is when they can actually make some changes.

Good Luck! I would love to hear how you go!!

Reactions: MLVC

PianoPro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2018
AppleCare+ starts the day you purchase the Plan, not the Mac. From the terms and conditions:

Plan coverage begins when you purchase the Plan and continues, unless cancelled, through the date specified in your Plan Confirmation (the “Plan Term”).
For Annual Plans, your recurring Plan Term is one year.

F-Train

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2015
NYC & Newfoundland
This has been discussed several times in the Preorders, Orders and Delivery Status Thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ery-status-thread-all-countries-2022.2337026/

People who have called Apple to discuss this (several people have experienced shipping delays) have been told that Apple Care will run from receipt of the computer.

In some jurisdictions, this issue is governed by local consumer protection law.

Reactions: 3Rock and gshocked

enricoclaudio

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2017
I placed my order on March 10th, Apple shipped it on March 26th and got it delivered on March 31st. Like 3 hours after I finished setting up my Mac Studio, I purchased AppleCare+. As you can see, my Proof of Coverage shows as Purchase Date for the Mac Studio the day Apple shipped it from China but the AppleCare+ start date is the day I purchased AppleCare+ and it will renew next year on the same date.

Screen Shot 2022-04-23 at 8.28.51 AM.png

Reactions: gshocked

gshocked

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 3, 2019
Australia
This has been discussed several times in the Preorders, Orders and Delivery Status Thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ery-status-thread-all-countries-2022.2337026/

People who have called Apple to discuss this (several people have experienced shipping delays) have been told that Apple Care will run from receipt of the computer.

In some jurisdictions, this issue is governed by local consumer protection law.
This is what I mentioned to apple but it seems I called too close to closing time and they told me to call back monday

gshocked

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 3, 2019
Australia
I placed my order on March 10th, Apple shipped it on March 26th and got it delivered on March 31st. Like 3 hours after I finished setting up my Mac Studio, I purchased AppleCare+. As you can see, my Proof of Coverage shows as Purchase Date for the Mac Studio the day Apple shipped it from China but the AppleCare+ start date is the day I purchased AppleCare+ and it will renew next year on the same date.

View attachment 1995387
Good to know! Thanks!!

ZMacintosh

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2008
AppleCare requires a serial number, so AppleCare won’t start until the product ships and has a serial number to be associated with. Same way if you pick it up in store (or order online and pick up in store) the warranty won’t start until the product is released to you.

PianoPro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2018

They are wrong. Read the AppleCare Terms and Conditions which I quoted above. If you ever use AppleCare that is what Apple is going by, not what someone told you over the phone.

Reactions: gshocked and 3Rock

F-Train

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2015
NYC & Newfoundland
They are wrong. Read the AppleCare Terms and Conditions which I quoted above. If you ever use AppleCare that is what Apple is going by, not what someone told you over the phone.

I posted what a number of people have said about discussions with Apple about Apple Care and shipping delays, which in some cases have been significant, on Mac Studio computers. If you don't believe them, that's your business. Have you even read those posts? Some of these people are also being offered free keyboards and mouses, or don't you believe that either?

Last edited:

PianoPro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2018
I posted what a number of people have said about discussions with Apple about Apple Care and shipping delays, which in some cases have been significant, on Mac Studio computers. If you don't believe them, that's your business. Have you even read those posts?

Read the TERMS & CONDITIONS. Nothing else matters. Have you read the T&C's, or do you just want to repeat what "people have said"? Apple personnel that answer the phones do not take precedence over the legal contracts.

What do shipping delays, significant or not, have to do with the terms of AppleCare+? Nothing.

Reactions: gshocked and 3Rock

F-Train

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2015
NYC & Newfoundland
Read the TERMS & CONDITIONS. Nothing else matters. Have you read the T&C's, or do you just want to repeat what "people have said"? Apple personnel that answer the phones do not take precedence over the legal contracts.

What do shipping delays, significant or not, have to do with the terms of AppleCare+?

You're trying to start an argument with the wrong person. How about you actually read the posts, and start an argument with the people who have discussed this with Apple.

By the way, ALL CAPS is not an argument.

Last edited:

PianoPro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2018
You're trying to start an argument with the wrong person. How about you actually read the posts, and start an argument with the people who have discussed this with Apple, several of whom say that they are also getting free keyboards and mouses.

By the way, ALL CAPS is not an argument.
So now getting free keyboards and mouses has something to do with the start date of AppleCare+?

Who's starting an argument? I quoted the Terms & Conditions to answer the OP's question and you replied that was wrong based on what you heard people were told. Did you or did you not read the Terms and Conditions?

F-Train

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2015
NYC & Newfoundland
So now getting free keyboards and mouses has something to do with the start date of AppleCare+?

Who's starting an argument? I quoted the Terms & Conditions to answer the OP's question and you replied that was wrong based on what you heard people were told. Did you or did you not read the Terms and Conditions?

I replied that you were wrong? Read my post (#6). Not only was I not responding to you, I didn't even mention you, or anything that you said :)

Nice to see that you've now figured out that ALL CAPS isn't an argument. Now, how about you actually read the posts by the people that you disagree with. If you want to tell them that they don't know what they're talking about, go for it :)

Last edited:

PianoPro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2018
I replied that you were wrong? Read my post (#6). Not only was I not responding to you, I didn't even mention you :)
Read my post #4 that I posted before you spread misinformation in your post #6 by just repeating what "other people have said".

Maybe you would actually learn something from reading Apple's Terms and Conditions. Or is it easier to just repeat what you read on the Internet than actually going to the effort to read Apple's legal contract?

F-Train

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2015
NYC & Newfoundland
Read my post #4 that I posted before you spread misinformation in your post #6 by just repeating what "other people have said".

Maybe you would actually learn something from reading Apple's Terms and Conditions. Or is it easier to just repeat what you read on the Internet than actually going to the effort to read Apple's legal contract?

Next time you want to lecture someone on the law, find out first what they do for a living :)

This "exchange" reminds me of the debate about whether installing RAM oneself in a 2018 Mac mini would void the warranty. Lots of amateur lawyers on this forum insisted that it would. On the strength of what I know about this kind of issue from many years of experience, and saw happening in the Apple system, I was one of a number of people who had the temerity to disagree. The response was much like yours now, amateur lawyers attacking, on a personal level, anybody who disagreed with them. Over three years later, I'm not aware of a single person whose warranty has been voided for installing RAM in a 2018 mini.

I have no doubt that Apple can adjust the start or end date of Apple Care. I also have little doubt that it would if there was a lengthy delay between purchase and delivery. It's really a question of how long a delay we're talking about. Two weeks is surely certain. One week is likely. Don't know about less than that. Contrary to what you keep insisting, there's also no reason why one couldn't request confirmation of an adjustment in writing. As I also said in post #6, in some jurisdictions the terms and conditions that you keep going on about are overridden by consumer protection legislation.

You have a bee in your bonnet about this and you're spoiling for a fight. What's the problem? Frustrated that you didn't go to law school? Pity you won't even read the prior discussions about this. You might learn something, both about the law and, more importantly, about running a business. The law isn't as stupid as you apparently think, and nor is Apple as a business.

You're lecturing the wrong guy, but no doubt you'll insist on the last word, because that's what you do, every time, isn't it.

Last edited:

PianoPro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2018
Next time you want to lecture someone on the law, find out first what they do for a living :)

You might learn something, both about the law and, more importantly, about running a business.
LOL. You want to compare our resume's on running a business? No, you wouldn't.

Go ahead you can have the last word. Repeat some more stuff you heard people say on the internet, and more irrelevant comments that have nothing to do with the OP's question. That's been very impressive so far. So it's your soapbox from here. I'm out. Good day.

Aboo

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
LOL. You want to compare our resume's on running a business? No, you wouldn't.

Go ahead you can have the last word. Repeat some more stuff you heard people say on the internet, and more irrelevant comments that have nothing to do with the OP's question. That's been very impressive so far. So it's your soapbox from here. I'm out. Good day.

In F-Trains defense, I have had the exact same situation happen previously where shipping date to delivery was more than two weeks apart. I called Apple Care Agreement Administration and they had the issue sorted after confirming delivery with the tracking number. 5 min phone call and the date was updated in their system. They have some degree of leeway to address issues like this, but you do have to make the call and have them update the start date.

Reactions: MLVC and F-Train
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.